Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's the Beast

The Beast - Creature of the ocean

Backstory:

He lurks in solitude. Hidden from the hunters that persue him because of his strange appearance, he lives peacefully in coves where nobody will venture. One day, a woman on the run from vicious pirates entered his remote cove. She hid in a cave nearby. The pirates followed, and seeing her escape behind the rocks they followed, hefting swords. The beast, realizing the woman was in great danger came out of his hiding spot, blind with rage and savagely attacked the pirates. The woman would become his greatest friend, until she left years later to return to society. The beast was once again left alone, without the one friend he had ever had.

Going for the look of a marine creature/beast. The idea is oriented around a walrus, with fins and webbed feet.

Here is my first basic, startup sculpt to get the ideas flowing

Replies

• RedBadgers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update 1:
    So I added some more rolls of fat to add more emphasis on the design, and added some definition to the fins.

New wrinkles added for extra detail. More definition on the feet.

This will (probably) be my final highpoly mesh (3.8M tris). The eyes will be added later.
  • RedBadgers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I added some clothes/armour. Everything here is the lowpoly model with a normal map baked on it. Redoing the beast a bit now.

• Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    It's an interesting Idea.  You should really take a little more time with your sculpting before moving on to a texture stage.  Keep at it!
  • RedBadgers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have any suggestions for where I need more detail? Saved my current highpoly model (above) just in case :smiley: 
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    I just think you got to the detail stage a little early.  The anatomy needs some work, i'd look at reference like seals and other aquatic mammals and see how their flippers are structured.  Also when you do go to start texturing, sea mammals have a very thick tough skin similar to an elephants but waterlogged with more fatty tissues.  If you can pull that off that would be amazing!
  • RedBadgers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, yea. I will probably work on the hands and feet (I would say they need the most work). Other than that I will probably just tweak some things around.
  • RedBadgers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, just thought I would show the direction I am now going:
    Duck feet now, with seal flippers for the hands. This was just a quick job, though. (Sorry about the bad angle on the arms/flippers)

Feedback would be appreciated!
  • RedBadgers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, so I decided to get rid of everything the beast was wearing. It just distracts from the main concept - the beast. I have the new lowpoly model with a normal map baked onto it.
    Front view:

Side view:

Back view:

• Enalya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there,
    I like the concept with his four feet and pinguin-like silhouette. Though it's maybe more cute/attractive to look at than a beast. Also about the sculpting: it's looks a bit like molten clay, I would prefer it more uptight - a less blobby surface and less lobed if you get what I mean. For the tusks I suggest hard surface shapes so that they are more straight. But that is just my view on it ^^
    Good luck!!
  • RedBadgers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some subtle changes to the face, slanted the eyes a bit and moved some fat rolls around. Right now he is pretty wide eyed and friendly looking :neutral: Im thinking of adding a trident for effect and emphasis on the concept. I will probably work on the pose now, and any other effects.

• RedBadgers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I make a trident, and put in a quick base. Neither one are have normal maps on them so they look really smooth.

• RedBadgers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just an update of my latest work/ideas. I changes the base, and added some textures. Thinking of adding a fin to my beast, and I will be adding some fur to the legs, and maybe adding some water drops on the pedestal since he is a water creature.

Feedback is welcome!
  • RedBadgers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, so I did a render and did some colour correction, and here is what I have:

Not sure about the title plaque on the base, might remove it and re-render. Other than that I think it looks good.
    Feedback is appreciated!
  • korale
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    korale polycounter lvl 8
    Hey! I agree with what the few people above me said. I think it's worth going back in and refining the different shapes you have going on. In the final render, most of the sculpting information is unclear and it looks muddy.
    You still have plenty of time to go back in, carefully plan the materials and textures you'd like to create. For example, what sort of skin has this beast got? Is it smooth, is it rugged, is it fur, etc. Research different creatures, a little planning goes a long way!
    Keep going!
  • RedBadgers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Korale: Ok, I'll see what I can do
    Starting to work on my backstory.
  • vinajiray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vinajiray polycounter lvl 2
    Hey! I agree with the other people who told you to go a bit back. What I think is you should go at the exact moment when you decided to join the contest and think about it a bit more. >:)
  • Endritv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endritv polygon
    Hey! I'm glad you are so motivated to make this!

I'm going to be honnest with you, I don't like it. the model seems like it's all over the place, and you are just jumping trough the stages.
    The shapes are not defined, it lacks detail, you can use zbrush to push it much, much more.
    The textures don't look realistic, it lacks bakes like AO, it lacks cohesion and coherence.
    You can't just paste a banner like that on the pedestal, it doesn't fit there.
    You should try to find harmony in the shapes, you do that by drawing a concept, or modeling an already existing one.
    You have to understand the atonomy first,  the harmony of curves, shapes, size, placement of muscles.

YOU HAVE TO FEEL THE 3D
    YOU HAVE TO BE THE 3D

But keep it up man! As long as you stick with it you'll become a master soon! 

Good luck