Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's the Beast

The Beast - Hunthare

Hi everyone...here's my entry to this amazing contest.

I will not tell a background story yet for many reasons, the main one being I still need to think it through properly ^^
You guys may although get the main idea, considering the concept is quite self explanatory.
I may talk about what triggered this though.....here in France, there's an now old lady, singer and quite famous among children (at least those of the past two decades :smiley: ) named Chantal Goya.

She once wrote a song which chorus was about a rabbit that killed a hunter. Now it all makes sens, ain't it?

Hope you already like the concept as it took me a while to get done during lunch break at work ^^

I've seen many entries already and there are lots of great things coming out. Let's have fun and good luck all.

Latest :

Concept :

+++

Replies

• fantasymaster
    Offline / Send Message
    fantasymaster polycounter lvl 12
    Looks interesting. Looking forward to the 3d stuff.
  • Raven 05
    Thanks FantasyMaster ;)

Started to block out the main shapes and get the overall balance and stance.
    Not much anatomical details as fur plane meshes will cover the parts that aren't clothed (therefore deleted).

Later, +++
  • Raven 05
    Still bloking out stuff...

+++
  • Sandy
  • Raven 05
    Thanks Sandy, hope it'll still be as interesting when finished ^^

Last update of the week end...shape refining, rough cloth details, rough head details. Still aiming at a nice balance and stance for now (and as close as possible to the concept of course).

See y'all +++
  • Raven 05
    Hello, minor update with some cloth detailing and other tweaks here and there. Hopefully I'll boost the whole sculpt this week-end, assuming I don't spend every minute playing The Divison open bêta ^^

Comments and crits very welcome ;)

+++
  • Raven 05
    Week end update...started working on props to get the proper look of folds and hands.
    Still a lot work to do but it's ok, most of micro details will come with the substance part as it can do the job, no need to demonstrate zbrush-dragged-alphas skills and therefore waste time that shall be spent texturing ;)

My pipeline is quite simple...Zbrush to get the main shapes and pose quickly, then details object scaled (I may use uv2 if some materials require to tile on uv1).
    Next step, retopo within 3dcoat and Unwrap within Max.
    Then material creation within designer and import as smart mats in painter to achieve the texturing process.

See you soon.
    +++
  • Raven 05
    Week end, at last.....time for an update.

Muzzle load (3Dsmax / keyshot) 2.5 k tris.

See you later, +++
  • Raven 05
    Coming along slowly but nicely...

Comments welcome. See yall ;)
  • Raven 05
    Hi guys...been a while since I had time enough to work on this character.
    Hopefully I'm done with the sculpt. No further detailing as those details will come with the materials themselves...far more interesting and versatile than having them sculpted...I guess I've already mentionned this, d'ont bother, I'm getting old ^^

++++
  • Raven 05
    Hello,

Done with retopology at last...still a few details to add, some tweaking here and there, then awaits a funny unwraping session ^^

Polycount is great so far, 55 k tris for the character and 4k tris for the pedestal, leaving me some room for whatever remains to do, such as faked vfx or so...who knows? ;)

See you, keep up the good work.
  • Raven 05
    Time to add some materials to this...

First pass on the pedestal with substance Designer. The use of two rock bitmaps to add some blended color variations aside, it's all 100% procédural.

Hope you like it, still a lot to tweak and time is running out, see you next time ;)
  • Raven 05
    Hey there...update with some colorful design ^^. ID mats it is, of course.

I will use two of the three maps allowed. Starting with 4k but might downgrade to 2k as I like to keep an even pixel ratio over the whole model...will see 'bout that later.

This ID map will drive my multi material blend within Designer and ease the texturing process.

See yall ;)
  • Raven 05
    Submission on the finish line...hurray ^^

Single retake in photoshop to add a vignetting. Beside that, 100% procedural Designer / Iray.

3 Texture sets, 2k each to keep the pixel ratio overall the entire model :

Wireframe & Closeup :

As for the background story, I thought about telling the whole thing, the way I imagined this character's fate, but I finally am gonna leave you with a single clue and let your feelings make this special Hare come to life in your own mind...

This clue is quite simple...he wasn't a man cursed to turn into an animal for any classical reason farytales would have. No, he actually was a hare doomed to live like a human being. He looks like he has a purpose, something to achieve, somewhere hostile...what? Why?....this is where I leave you guys with this.

It was an awesome contest, thanks to everyone. I wish I had more feedback to help me achieve something better but hey, never mind, there it is anyway ;)

I chose to use Substance Designer only to process the whole texturing. Why? Well, designer allows to quickly iterate on your work, speeding up the process of art direction when in conception stage. Unlike painter or photoshop, or quixel (photoshop +++), it allows to modify lots of exposed parameters without having to spent numerous hours doing the same thing over and over again.
    For this character for instance, I can easily change any hue saturation lighting, normal intensity, tiling, snow coverage as well as it's direction, etc etc.....on each and every material applied to the model in a matter of minutes and few clics.

I may post some screeshots of my many graphs (material blends as well as base materials) that I used for this scene whenever you're interested in.

Thanks again for reading and watching, wish you all good luck and fun fun fun ;)

Byyye