Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Maya] League of Legends. Riven's Broken sword WIP

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Unlimion polycounter lvl 4
Hello, mates!

I'm new to this forum and kinda new to 3D, but I want to improve myself and make something completely beautiful someday.  =)

I've found a nice Riven's sword art across the internet and decided to make my own 3D version of it.

Here is the process:

1) Upper part

3) Upper + mid parts

I know that my topology sucks hard, so I will re-make these parts really soon and make them look much more better!

4) I've learned a lot some days later, so my next update was looking really good...

5) I've also assigned some testing materials and upgraded my gard with golden parts =)

6) Right after these renders, something happened to my gard and I wasn't been able to apply any modification to it, cause this move caused maya to crash.

I've discovered the problem. My extruding technique was completely wrong. =\ 
Such a disaster that I have discovered it too late.
Though I knew what to improve.

7) Gard remaking.

8) Finally, looking good but still not perfect. I've decided to take a break and work with atmosphere and composition.

To do list:
- Remake the sword topology.
- Cut in the runes and make them look realistic.
- Remake the textures and materials and remove the 'matte' metal.
- Make the sword more realistic. Make the metal look more older. Some cracks and splits on metal maybe. Using mudbox or Zbrush? (problem part)

C&C welcome! =)

Replies

• Unlimion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update!

Top and mid-parts remaking:

Now looks sharper than ever =)
    Next step: runes, textures and materials!

• Zodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zodd polycounter lvl 11
    One thing that comes to mind is what is this piece going to be used for? low poly, high poly portfolio piece?
    Because now you have a lot of mixed things in it, like subd modeled hilt, guard and circular thingy and low poly jaggy blade that looks like its gonna be low poly in the end. so those 2 are going to have a huge mismatch when finished ( unless i overlooked subd version of the blade? )

Also there are some unnecessary edge loops on the thin inside side(s) of the blade, the places where the blade was broken i guess so you could clean up those a bit, there's a tutorial around here somewhere for a low poly stylized hand painted sword that would be good starting point since you already stated you are a beginner in 3d and it may be good foundation to build upon since what you've shown above is really nice and you can take it further with a little extra work.

• Unlimion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zodd said:
    One thing that comes to mind is what is this piece going to be used for? low poly, high poly portfolio piece?
    Because now you have a lot of mixed things in it, like subd modeled hilt, guard and circular thingy and low poly jaggy blade that looks like its gonna be low poly in the end. so those 2 are going to have a huge mismatch when finished ( unless i overlooked subd version of the blade? )

Also there are some unnecessary edge loops on the thin inside side(s) of the blade, the places where the blade was broken i guess so you could clean up those a bit, there's a tutorial around here somewhere for a low poly stylized hand painted sword that would be good starting point since you already stated you are a beginner in 3d and it may be good foundation to build upon since what you've shown above is really nice and you can take it further with a little extra work.

I will surely use it as my high-poly portfolio peace. I didn't mess with a smoothing so far, because I must be sure that every face is placed correctly and every loop is good enough to give me a nice and beautiful high-poly mesh in the end I will surely subd it later.
     If I give you some close looks, can you specify the loop to me? I didn't get it =\
     I will do some cleaning too. Would be great to see this tutorial! Have any lilnks, mate?
     And thank you for your feedback! =)
  • Unlimion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there. It's me again.
    With a small, but pretty awesome update.

After several attempts I've finally discovered a way to implement my runes.

They gonna look ultra-awesome!

Can't wait to see the final result.