Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's the Beast

Proto-Human - Fallen King

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
smessier polycounter lvl 9
So my beast will likely be a hard sell, but I want to try him out anyway. 

He's a proto-humanoid, alive during a period of prehistory long forgotten.  A once great ruler, he and his people fell to the onslaught of the imperialistic human nations.  While he survived the genocide of his race, he lives on as a slave, disfigured and beaten.  He is a symbol of human dominion over lesser beasts; he's a surviving relic of a species gone extinct, out of place in a world no longer suited for him. 

I want to focus on portraying his despair and the tragedy of his past.  I look to italian renaissance sculpture and painting for his final pose and feel.  He'll be clothed; his kingly attire will be faded and scrapped, with baubles and elements that point back to his lineage and prior stature.  In terms of costume design, since it's set in a fictional ancient prehistoric era, I want to pull from Egyptian/Babylonian BC shapes and colors, with the flowing style from renaissance/middle-age european fashion.  He'll also have a staff or some element that he leans on. 

Hopefully this concept doesn't sound completely off the wall.  Please let me know if it does.

I have some renders from a really rough concept bust of the character, testing out overall anatomy/design and possible hair styles.  I'll be going with alpha cards, and textures generated from fibermesh clumps. 

Let me know what you think so far.