Home Technical Talk

[MAYA] - 3D Environment Workflow Pipeline (Question)

Greetings!  I tried looking on this forum for something similar to my question, alas I could not find anything so apologies if this one is redundant.

I'm seeking help in knowing what is the best workflow in creating 3D environments for filmmaking where actors will be shot on green screen and then later composited in the 3D world?  I've been studying Maya for the past year now and have gotten my feet wet with the software where I have the basics down.  However I'm running into a lot of challenges that thwart my sessions in working when it comes to the rendering phase, which primarily  originates from my current workflow.

So what's the best possible practice in creating these environments?  I know polycount can be an issue when it comes to render time, so then do I use reference models in the whole set?  With those reference models, should they be low-poly models baked with high-poly normal maps?  Should I perform different sections of the environment in passes as well? (i.e. walls, then furniture, etc.)  Linear Workflow for color management is the way to go, so do you also export in linear with your compositing software?  Again, I'm trying to understand what's the best practical way of working in making these sets.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  I've used PluralSight and Lynda primarily for my learning paths, so that's my background in the matter.  

Thanks!