Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Grouping Elements? Photostop configuration? Color ID? Transparant glass? 3DS MAX workflow?

vertex
Offline / Send Message
IronTarkus vertex
Hello guys, I have many questions and I need guidance with Quixel because I can't figure out a good workflow.

1) Whats the optimal way of grouping/attaching elements for Quixel(3DS MAX)?
  • I made a simple candle stick which is made off two elements; the candle stick and a glass cover. I attached them together using "ATTACH". Then I exported "selected" as ".OBJ" using the "MODO preset". Yet, when I opened it in Quixel, it was splitted near the bottom of the candle for absolutly no reason and the glass was considered a part of the candle stick even thought the polygones are not linked.
  • Should I export as .FBX instead of .OBJ?
2) How are we supposed to configure photoshop for Quixel?
  • Image mode and color settings? What to choose and how to decide which one to use? Anything else?
3) Any other way to assign color ID other than baking them?
  • Problem is, for the case of the candle stick, I dont need to make a high poly. All I want to do is put it in NDO and add details with it. I dont need to go through one more software for a simple object like that. Then I want to colorize it using DDO and after that render it using 3DO.
  • So what I did, I imported the FBX file with the Quixel color IDs Sphere in 3DS max. Then I applied it to the places(mostly polygones selection) I wanted(Drag and drop), and baked the diffuse. But for some reasons its not the exact same color(#7e0000 instead of #9d0000 for velvet)(((WHY?!))). So I edited the color IDs in photoshop using select by color > fill using the correct number from the QUIXEL swatches. (Obviously doing something wrong)
4)The glass in Quixel, is it supposed to be transparent?
  • So yeah, finaly in Quixel I apply smart material here and there, to test stuff you know, thats when I apply a glass material to the glass part of the candle stick. But its completely opaque. Am I missing something?
  • The glass part is a simple cylinder with some thickness, its not just a plane, is that my mistake? Should it be a plane?
5)Can someone teach me a good 3DS max ---> Quixel ---> UDK workflow? Im willing to pay, I can buy you a game of your choice on STEAM.
  • We can use SKYPE(or anything else) so I can watch you work while I constantly ask annoying questions and take notes.
  • Or you can point me to a good tutorial (not the quixel video tutorial they are not cutting it)
  • My objective is to make beautiful, optimised low poly video game assets. AAA quality at the very least.
  • >>>HARD SURFACES please<<< For organic assets I use 3DS MAX > ZBRUSH.
  • I have solid modeling knownledge, but consider me junior.
Bonus Question: Is this workflow sustainable and effective for hardsurface low poly video game assets?

3DS MAX > low poly > NDO > DDO > Engine of your choice.

Thank you for reading and thanks for the help.

Replies

• IronTarkus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronTarkus vertex
    Just saw the new patch, Quixel ID color now works with 3DS? I need to check it out, hopefully there are up to date instruction to install it?
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Hey Irontarkus!

1) Could I see an image of this?

2) The Suite will configure Photoshop for you. Unless you run into performance issues, there's not much of a reason to mess about with Photoshop settings. :smile: 

3) You don't need to bake color IDs. You can paint over a UV map as well if you'd prefer, or use solid UV selections to create colors via masking, etc.

4) Transparency is enabled via the dDo menu -> Add New Map -> Opacity - black values produce transparency.

5) You can sit in with us on the Quixel Hangout as we work on projects - any Quixel representative or community member will gladly assist! :smile: 

Your workflow listed is exactly what I use in a lot of my art - if I don't have the time to create a high-poly, I don't! The results can be quite similar once you've processed your maps through the Suite. Quixel Colors has always worked with Max, by the way! You'll need Max 2014 Extension 1 or better. Just run the script inside of */Quixel SUITE 2.0/colors/ and you're good to go.
  • IronTarkus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronTarkus vertex
    Thanks a lot for the answers! I managed with the help of the Quixel Hangout to get the Quixel color working in MAX(it didnt load the material because it was on another harddrive). I was totally in the wrong folder(swatches instead of colors) when trying to use the ID colors and never noticed the script. Anyway it was the first time I used a script, so theres that! :smiley: 

I think I figured the problem of my candle stick being splitted at the wrong place. Its because of the way I unwraped my object:

I didnt know all the lines had to be perfectly straight, but after reading some documentation I understood my error.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Here's a document on UV mapping that I helped write - check it out and see if you find it useful! :smile: 
  • IronTarkus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronTarkus vertex
    Yes, thats the one I read, Im trying to figure out now how to make it more straightent, the problematic "spheres" are solved, gotta work on that pole thing now and then see if its better in Quixel.