Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New here, lurking too long

Bigg__D
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Bigg__D polycounter lvl 4
Been trying to really bring my modeling skills up this past year as much as I can with the time I have. Lurking these forums for too long lol just never had anything decent enough to post & didnt wanna start asking all the noob questions get spoon fed without first trying to make some progress on my own. Just wanna show some work, the only one I attempted to render was the Corvette, I dont have stuff like Vray or Keyshot so I've been trying to learn mental ray lately just to see if I cans get some decent results. I know lighting is an art but wow are the standard Max lights hard to play with. Also the oil barrel is an attempt to create a very basic object to practice the normal map/game art workflow, I used 3point studio plugin for that. The rifle & the walking turret thing I modeled them but the concepts are NOT drawn by me so I include them here

Replies

• The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    Nice work, looks like clean modelling but it would be good to have larger pictures (and less jaggy aliasing, if possible). You've made a start with the high => low and texturing workflow with the barrel, now follow it through with the other assets! The sniper rifle, scorpion and car are the most promising
    Also don't be afraid to post more often. Feedback and constructive criticism is a big part of becoming a better artist
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    pretty solid modelling.
    The legs of the walking turret are to narrow compared to the concept. I love the MGS style of that concept.
  • Bigg__D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigg__D polycounter lvl 4
    Ok gentlemen thanks for the comments. MGS is what i thought when i found this walking turret, love mgs games & their art styles/designs, the legs definitely need to be beefed up a bit. With the aliasing, I'm not sure if there is a way to have antialiasing for the viewports (this is 3ds Max 9), thats why only the car doesnt look jagged because its an actual render. As for the high->low texturing workflow, since i'm already comfortable with photoshop, that was fine. I also understand UV mapping, normal maps/AO, exploded baking, etc etc EXCEPT the actual laying out of the UV islands...this to me is a nightmare as the complexity of the model increases. I understand the low poly should be simple in comparison, use floating geometry where appropriate for the high poly, look at silhoette, etc. I dont have problem unwrapping, i know basically how to unwrap different types of stuff but, again, the layout to me is something i need to work on. I think I enjoyed car modeling most this time since my previous car modeling attempts were failed so I would go back to simpler projects but now I think i can do some more cars, i quite enjoyed that