Home Technical Talk

When unwrapping uv's for hardsurface models, is it ok to have tris on the flat planar sides?

Travis C
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Travis C polycounter lvl 8
or does it not matter? I'm going to be using headus uvlayout.

Someone told me that I should have my hardsurface model in all quads before unwrapping.
Problem with that is that I need some tri's in there if I want it very low poly. 

If I need all quads before unwrapping, are there exceptions where it is ok to have tris? Like maybe on flat planar surfaces?

Replies

• AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    It doesn't matter.

Quads can maybe help you unwrap faster because you can select edgeloops and use things like follow active quads in Blender but it isn't going to make any difference what so ever in the quality of your unwrap. None at all.
  • Travis C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It doesn't matter.

Quads can maybe help you unwrap faster because you can select edgeloops and use things like follow active quads in Blender but it isn't going to make any difference what so ever in the quality of your unwrap. None at all.
    alrighty, thanks!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah also your model is going to be all triangles in the end. Some good info here
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Polygon_Count
  • Travis C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It doesn't matter.

wait, how badly would it effect the speed of the unwrap? I need to unwrap something really fast
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    You'd loose the ability to quickly select loops, rings etc, so technically it can affect the speed so much.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Travis C said:
    It doesn't matter.

wait, how badly would it effect the speed of the unwrap? I need to unwrap something really fast
    By the sound of it you've got very few triangles in your mesh so I cannot imagine it is going to make any real difference. We're talking a few extra clicks, maybe not even that depending on where your triangles are.

It would be a different story if you were unwrapping a mesh that was entirely triangulated. I don't know what Headus has feature wise but even then... in Blender at least you have path selection so even without loop/ring selection it is probably trivial. I would only be concerned if you were using something like Follow Active Quads since afaik it will not work with triangles. But again... how bad it is depends on how many triangles you've got.

Bottom line: I seriously would not invest any energy into worrying about it.