Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Based on Cabal Online Armour Design by Jungmin Jin

Hey guys, here's something  I am working on. It will be my first real time character since university as i usually render my characters out in vray, so very excited! 

Here is the concept sculpt, please let me know if anything looks off before i start refinement stages followed by Re-top and UV's.

Thankyou!

Replies

• vikz4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CC welcome just getting the hang of real time assets, Before i just worried about Displacement map and fast topology. Now everything matters! so its definitely a challenge, learning alot!

• Stranger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stranger polycounter lvl 5
    There's quite a bit of baking errors, i would add some more geo to the LP.
  • vikz4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stranger said:
    There's quite a bit of baking errors, i would add some more geo to the LP.
    thanks for the reply... will work on that
  • vikz4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hows this ? The above was a kinda poor attempt at substance painter trial, i think the generator must of made the edges look wrong.

• Stranger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stranger polycounter lvl 5
    Heres what comes to eye, its alot better though. Good job!

• vikz4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stranger said:
    Heres what comes to eye, its alot better though. Good job!

ahh i see what you mean, Thanks ! i will add more geo when re baking :)
  • vikz4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    re did the helmet

• The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    Nice, the sculpt looks decent so far and the bake looks good. I'd be concerned about the tricount on that low poly though, how many are there on that currently? Seeing as you're new to real-time assets that's understandable. You have to bear in mind though - this is only a small piece of an entire suit of armour, plus the fact that third person games don't require as many polys as first person (rough rule) and an mmo probably requires the least amount of polys out of all. If you're just going for portfolio quality then don't let me stop you, I just recommend keeping your targets in mind. There's no hard and fast rules anyway

• vikz4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, the sculpt looks decent so far and the bake looks good. I'd be concerned about the tricount on that low poly though, how many are there on that currently? Seeing as you're new to real-time assets that's understandable. You have to bear in mind though - this is only a small piece of an entire suit of armour, plus the fact that third person games don't require as many polys as first person (rough rule) and an mmo probably requires the least amount of polys out of all. If you're just going for portfolio quality then don't let me stop you, I just recommend keeping your targets in mind. There's no hard and fast rules anyway

Hi Thanks for the reply, The helmet is 5k Tris/ 2k polys, whilst the head is 30k tris, i am indeed going for a portfolio piece / maybe a FFxv /ps4 type polycount I have  read that one character has around 100k polys in the game, would this equal to 200k tris ? or do they mean the tris are 100k?
  • The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    Tris is obviously the most 'reliable' metric, 'polys' can count as both quads and tris as you know. However since we're talking about game characters (whose meshes convert into only tris inside game engines) then it's more likely to literally mean 100k tris, as the term 'poly' can be used loosely, but if they're talking about the mesh before it's been triangulated...
    You know what? Don't worry about it. Just use the amount of tris you think would be acceptable. haha
  • vikz4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tris is obviously the most 'reliable' metric, 'polys' can count as both quads and tris as you know. However since we're talking about game characters (whose meshes convert into only tris inside game engines) then it's more likely to literally mean 100k tris, as the term 'poly' can be used loosely, but if they're talking about the mesh before it's been triangulated...
    You know what? Don't worry about it. Just use the amount of tris you think would be acceptable. haha

Haha Thanks! But yeah I have decided to stick to a 100k Tri limit, I've reduced the head down to 6k tris atm its all at 17k tris so have 83k tris to play with if worst comes to worse at the end i can remove some loops/ polys/ tris etc 
  • LexiWhite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LexiWhite polycounter lvl 3

Hope you don't mind that I redlined a little! It's a good start, but I think it could use some refinement before you move on. I would go back to the concept and really study the silhouette, and spend a little more time tailoring, he looks like a fancy dude with some expensive duds!  Putting some seam lines in there would add a lot more to this piece as well. I really like where the clothing folds are going, they feel natural, but I think that they make the garment look to thin? Moreso in the pants though. Take a look at some wool broadcloth uniforms for reference? Also, the scarf is a large part of the silhouette, I think it should be a lot thicker and cover more of the face. It really adds to the stuffy-ness of the character.

The skin texture is also off to a good start! Consider pore size and oil distribution within the face, and it'll really make the model pop. Also, try mixing in some greens and blues instead of desaturating your red tones. Sounds crazy, but trust me! Hope this helps, best of luck.

• vikz4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LexiWhite said:

Hope you don't mind that I redlined a little! It's a good start, but I think it could use some refinement before you move on. I would go back to the concept and really study the silhouette, and spend a little more time tailoring, he looks like a fancy dude with some expensive duds!  Putting some seam lines in there would add a lot more to this piece as well. I really like where the clothing folds are going, they feel natural, but I think that they make the garment look to thin? Moreso in the pants though. Take a look at some wool broadcloth uniforms for reference? Also, the scarf is a large part of the silhouette, I think it should be a lot thicker and cover more of the face. It really adds to the stuffy-ness of the character.

The skin texture is also off to a good start! Consider pore size and oil distribution within the face, and it'll really make the model pop. Also, try mixing in some greens and blues instead of desaturating your red tones. Sounds crazy, but trust me! Hope this helps, best of luck.

Hi Thank you so much for the very informative critique! its really helpful having another pair or eyes evaluate parts you've missed, I will definitely implement these, thankfully I am still in the refine sculpt stage. so yeah ... Thanks again!