Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's the Beast

The Beast - Self Portrait

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
tmcintosh polycounter lvl 6
Long time lurker and honestly much more of an environmental type, but with a recent purchase of Substance and a desire to jump into one of these contests I figured what the hell. 

Doing a "self-portrait" of sorts, there's an ugly misunderstood beast in all of us. Whether it's anger, anxiety, pessimism, etc. it's apart of everyone. Best thing about a beast though is that sometimes it's just that, although it's a character inside, it doesn't necessarily define us. This project/piece is about letting it out, true to form : hair flying, teeth barred, and roaring away. Hope you all enjoy the progress and (hopefully) kick ass final piece! Looking forward to your comments, critique, and suggestions!

Replies

• tmcintosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got a nice start in Maya with the general shape and build-up. I'm only wanting to do a bust (remember not a character artist) so that I can focus on the details in the top half. Quite obviously not me yet, my beard game isn't quite that strong, but it's a good point to start tweaking and refining. 

Polycount so far is extremely low, still needs a mouthbox and some filler spots but should have lots of room to subdivide and add in some nice detail. In all honesty though I may try and keep towards the low low end of the tris ceiling and instead work on pushing as much as possible with Substance. 

• tmcintosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holes are filled, UVs are finished, Zbrush trial is moving and a grooving. Glad I got some of the nasty no fun boring things out of the way for a good sculpting day.

• tmcintosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First Zbrush Pass, lots of room for more but at least basic muscle groups and hair shapes are in place for refinement. 

• tmcintosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message