Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Irish Pub UE4

Hi,

I am making a study on wear and tear in video game textures, and for that I am working on a UE4 environment based on "Peaky Blinders" and I want to give it more of an abandon after fight look. So far I managed to build the v.1 of the scene but there is a lot to improve. I would like to have as many ideas and tips and possible to get an awesome final result.

Thank you guys

Replies

• Maxilator
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    Good work, I'm going to mention the things that sticks out the most to me: 
    1. The ceiling, It is way too bright, and to me sticks out like a sore thumb because of it, I thought it was the default checker pattern in UE4 at first. I would replace it with wooden planks or at least break up the repetitive nature of it by adding some (more, not white) wooden beams crossing it. 
    2. The pillars are way to over designed, would also make them out of wood.
    3. The white tiles in between the red ones and the plaster, I don't even know what it going on there, almost looks like a broken normal map. Not sure I would use tiles at all in this setting.
    4. Picture frame damage just looks random.
    5. I don't really know what the material on the wall is supposed to be but it looks off, from what I can see Irish bars seems to use mostly wallpaper. Even if you want plaster it shouldn't be that noisy looking.
  • mats effect
    The wooden barrels feel a little random to me does not really look like the sort of place they would be stored, a corner seat or something would go there instead. The room feels way to big at the moment like there is a lot of open space most pubs are pretty small and cramped. 

Also if you are going to use the barrels I would suggest adding a bit more age and wear to them somthing like this http://www.nextdoorwoodstore.org.uk/images/Glasgow/barrel_big.jpg
  • Inigo
    Maxilator said:
    Good work, I'm going to mention the things that sticks out the most to me: 
    1. The ceiling, It is way too bright, and to me sticks out like a sore thumb because of it, I thought it was the default checker pattern in UE4 at first. I would replace it with wooden planks or at least break up the repetitive nature of it by adding some (more, not white) wooden beams crossing it. 
    2. The pillars are way to over designed, would also make them out of wood.
    3. The white tiles in between the red ones and the plaster, I don't even know what it going on there, almost looks like a broken normal map. Not sure I would use tiles at all in this setting.
    4. Picture frame damage just looks random.
    5. I don't really know what the material on the wall is supposed to be but it looks off, from what I can see Irish bars seems to use mostly wallpaper. Even if you want plaster it shouldn't be that noisy looking.
    The wooden barrels feel a little random to me does not really look like the sort of place they would be stored, a corner seat or something would go there instead. The room feels way to big at the moment like there is a lot of open space most pubs are pretty small and cramped. 

Also if you are going to use the barrels I would suggest adding a bit more age and wear to them somthing like this http://www.nextdoorwoodstore.org.uk/images/Glasgow/barrel_big.jpg
    Thank you guys for the feedback, I will definitely take a look at all this things.
    This are the references of the pub I was intending to do. I tried to be as accurate with the general look as possible, but maybe it is not the best look or I didn't achieve the result properly (probably this second thing).

I will work on asap and try to give it a abondon/burnt look to give it more personality.

• Inigo
    The idea with the wall was to make a 2 colour stuccoed walls (I think that is how it's said in English). You are totally tight about the frames, they are just to random I have to change that.

The barrels look ugly and quite new for the general look, I am going to do a new texture for it and find them a better place to be.
  • Inigo

Well guys, I have been following your advice this weekend and I have made some changes:

1. I created a new mesh and texture for the barrel (still need to find them a place to be)
    2. I have been researching a bit and for what I have seen, usually the pillars where made of steel, so I remodeled and retextured the column, Giving it a more classic look and a combination of english green colour steel and slightly yellowish steel.
    3. I have changed de ceiling texture for a wooden patter.

Tell me what do you think about it :smiley:  

Old Barrels

New Barrels

New Ceiling

New metallic columns.

Thank you all

Feedback from:
    @Maxilator  
    @mats effect 
  • A_Clockwork_Bug
    Consider adding cornice to the ceiling, the way the new roof disappears into the walls is strange. And given the references you are using, you ought to make the lighting a lot more yellow. The strong white light coming in through the windows is a big part of why it feels very open.

Nice work though, I like the materials.
  • Inigo
    Consider adding cornice to the ceiling, the way the new roof disappears into the walls is strange. And given the references you are using, you ought to make the lighting a lot more yellow. The strong white light coming in through the windows is a big part of why it feels very open.

Nice work though, I like the materials.
    Yeah, I thought the same, when I was looking at the ceiling yesterday doing the new texture I realized that the cut will look awful and even if it looked okay, there is something missing. I am doing a new bach of props to add, and cornice will be one of those.

Regarding the light. I will look at it, is my biggest flaw in UE4