Home Technical Talk

3d studio max - Basic directional light that shows bump, specular with global illumination?

sr3d
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
sr3d polycounter lvl 2
Does 3d studio max have a basic light that allows me to see bump, diffuse, specular along with some global illumination from four walls, floor and ceiling?

I'm currently using a directional light and I see the bump, diffuse and specular effects but there is no global illumination.

The sky light does not show specular which is extremely stupid.

Replies

• Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    "The sky light does not show specular which is extremely stupid." <--- Well, its not a surprise... Its scattered light with a flat color overall, by default. So it doesn't have direction, and won't give specular highlights until you apply IBL . Apply a HDRi to your skylight, and then you'll get some visible  specular reflections. 

Anyways, what renderer do you use? Cause the answer to your main question would depend on that.
  • sr3d
    Offline / Send Message
    sr3d polycounter lvl 2
    Obscura said:
    "The sky light does not show specular which is extremely stupid." <--- Well, its not a surprise... Its scattered light with a flat color overall, by default. So it doesn't have direction, and won't give specular highlights until you apply IBL . Apply a HDRi to your skylight, and then you'll get some visible  specular reflections. 

Anyways, what renderer do you use? Cause the answer to your main question would depend on that.
    Hi, thanks for the response.

What do you recommend I use that will just show me the basics when I do a render?  I just want to see basic GI, diffuse, bump, specular. 

Applying HDRI requires a lot of messing around in the material editor. I just need to see basic GI, bump, specular and diffuse.

I wonder if there is a 3rd party app for 3d studio max that will just show me quick renders that look somewhat nice without spending a lot of time in the material editor?
  • sr3d
    Offline / Send Message
    sr3d polycounter lvl 2
    Is there a light in 3D STUDIO MAX called: "Basic light" that does basic GI, bump, specular and diffuse lighting?