Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's the Beast

The Forgotten Beast

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
m_tenn polycounter lvl 3
Hello everyone,

This seems like such a great challenge, so I decided to give it a try.

As soon as I read the description my mind raced to the Disney Beast. Am personally not that big of a fan of the whole Stockholm-syndrome-I'll-lock-you-in-my-castle-until-you-learn-to-love-me plot, but hey - the Beast's design and animation was incredible  (Glen Keane  - amiright....?)

So first thing's first - sat down and watched the movie. 
I decided I wanted to pay homage to the original (and let's face it, superb) design, but with a fresh take on the style, and also a twist. 
So in my version, the Beast never got his happily ever after. Belle ended up either dying during the storming of the castle, or never came back to declare her love. Either way, the Beast was left to wonder the castle grounds alone, tormented by grief and sorrow.
As the years passed, his anger gave way to sorrow, as his once powerful frame falls to ruin, ravaged by old age and dashed hopes.

Some images out of my research:

My goal is to keep the feel of the old design, but give it a more life-like, though stylized, look. IDK, it makes sense in my head, I swear :)

So first I got to studying some of the designs used to create the original, to better know the anatomy and feel of the character:

]

Then I did some quick sketches of my idea (gosh, am quite rusty....)-

And finally, played around with the silhouette in zBrush, to start with:

That's it for now. 
Critique and comments are always welcome.
Looking forward to see what everyone comes up with, a lot of good ideas around.

Cheers!

Replies