Home Adobe Substance

Painter not creating/exporting the Height map

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hi!
I'm posting this because it's already happened me another time, so I'd like to figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Basically I follow my usual workflow:
- create new project with low-res model
- bake maps in painter based on the high res one
- load/edit materials
Everything works great and the preview in Painter is 100% right, however the height map is not generated (it's actually generated but only with some detail I imported and not the mesh details, in this case seams I imported from Photoshop).
It should be generated as the detail is all there and in fact Painter can see it and the Normal map is actually generated perfectly, but the Height isn't.

This happened me another time, but that time it was on a "child" project, I just had to load my main one and change the OBJs and solved it.
This time though this is my starting file, so I have nothing to restart with and regardless I'd like to figure out why this happening, in case it happens again in the future.

Note that all other times (my previous projects) I've had no issues and the Height was generated all right.

I hope I'm making sense, any pointer would be appreciated!

Sil

Below my project with the material applied, the dress is completely flat so all the "displaced/normalized" detail is what is generated from the high res.
The other pic shows the "solo" of the height, with no detail saved for my imported seams.

Replies

• Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    First of all, the solo channel mode for the height channel is displayed in [-1,1] space and by default negative information are showed as black. use the +/- parameter in the viewer setting to change the display and view the negative color if needed. The contrast between the two colors can be a bit hard to see sometimes.

As for the detail issue that your are mentioning, I'm not sure to understand exactly what your problem is. You baked a normal map from an high-poly mesh and it shows fine in the viewport in Material mode ? If that's so then everything is fine. Also note that the normal map from the additional slot is different from the height channel in your document. Those are combined later. In solo mode you see those channels individually.

If you want to see the normal map baked, simply switch the mode to "Additional map" in the viewer setting and with the "view" dropdown switch to additional map that you want.