Home General Discussion

Any 3D Animators here? :)

Hello, good night.

I`m starting to get really interested in 3D animation. I`m trying to push myself at least 4 hours a day to get better on it, but I have some questions that some ``veterans`` might give me an answer. 

* Usually in studios the animator HAVE to do the rigging? Logically he should know how to do it.

*  If the Animator don`t do the rigging, his ``relation``with the rigger should be really close, right? 

* In a 3D Animation demo reel, is it acceptable to use models from other people? (like realistic face) If yes, you usually buy it or talk to a modeler? 

Thank you.

Replies

• monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    * Usually in studios the animator HAVE to do the rigging? Logically he should know how to do it.
    Smaller studios yeah, but larger studios usually have a tech artist or a team of tech artist to help out here. But all 3D packages have auto riggers these days. 3ds Max has Biped and CAT. Maya has HumanIK. Blender has Rigify. I've used them all and only CAT is a little buggy, the rest are solid.
    *  If the Animator don`t do the rigging, his ``relation``with the rigger should be really close, right?

Yes, just like the animator needs to be able to take critique professionally, the rigger needs to take critiques on his work as well. But why are you asking? Are you afraid of making a "relation". :smile: 

* In a 3D Animation demo reel, is it acceptable to use models from other people? (like realistic face) If yes, you usually buy it or talk to a modeler? 

There are plenty of free rigs to use online. http://www.11secondclub.com/resources

If you are ever in doubt, just ask the modeler. The worst they can say is no.

• Hito
  • escudero
    Hito said:
    I posted in this section because it`s a industry question, sorry if I`m wrong.
    Nice REEL btw, the climbing part is awesome. 
  • slipsius
    -No, not all studio jobs require rigging. Most AAA wont require it. It's always good to know, but you should focus on getting good at animation first, before you divide your time with rigging as well. Smaller indie studios will most likely ask you to rig your own things.

-you should have a good relationship with every coworker. If you`re an asshole to anyone, rigger or not, no one will want to work with you ever. You wont necessarily ever talk to your rigger in a larger studio. But ya, it's good to be in their good books if you wanna put in a request for something special/extra

-Yes, using other peoples rigs is fine. Just make sure to credit them. free rigs - http://polycount.com/discussion/149037/community-rigs

• heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    - not every studio will have you rig, but understanding the process (even in bare minimal aspects) will go  a long way.

- Like Slip said, good working relationships go a far way.  Especially with people who will directly affect the end result of your work.

- Using other rigs and models is completely fine. But always throw the artist a credit.

I know I pretty much mirrored everything said in this thread so far, but there are hardly ever animation threads in general discussion, so I wanted to chime in.

:3