Home Adobe Substance

Why is Substance Painter killing my textures?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
Hello guys, I'm confused here. I have an 8K normal map which I loaded into SP to texture my gun. I export textures at 2K resolution but when I open in MT2, it looks horrible and pixelated. My textel density is not the problem because if I take this same 8K normal map, and downscale it to 2K in photoshop, it looks perfect! Here are the screenshots. Here is how it looks in MT2.

Left is normal map downscaled to 2K in PHOTOSHOP.
Right is normal map exported at 2048x2048 in SP.

Is there any settings in SP I can change?? Maybe I should change all filtering from Bilinear to Nearest or some other magic settings?

Replies

• Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    There is a bug in the export process where textures that are at a different size of the texture set size are sampled in nearest mode instead of bilinear. Therefor they look pixelated a sin your screenshot. Until we publish a fix, the best solution is to use textures that fit the size of your texture set, just like you did.
  • mrgesy
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    Oh I see. So I should just downscale the Xnormal-baked maps to 2K in Photoshop and use them to texture? Will it export flawlessly then? 
    I just tried the solution and it's a lot better, although there's still some pixelation in some places in comparison to the Photoshop downscaled texture.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    You can even downscale in Designer if you want, what matter is that to not do it via Painter for the moment.
    Is the pixelisation coming from textures or the content generated in the layer stack ? Identifying exactly the source of the issue would help to fix the bug if there is one.
  • mrgesy
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    I tested what exactly was causing it. I loaded the 8K normal map. There is no layer in the layer stack. No single stroke or fill done. So I just just exported textures at 2K, which only produced 3 black textures and a normal map. The normal map's downscale resolution is bad compared to SD or Photoshop. So I'm certain its not the layer stack.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    We fixed the issue in an internal version. Hopefully we will have an hotfix version available soon.