Home Technical Talk

Migrating from MODO to Maya. Couple questions

vx_
vx_

Overall the programs are pretty similar but a couple things irk me. If it isn't achievable in Maya maybe there are plugins which do these?

1. Is there a way to replace marquee tool with lasso (and still be able to select by clicking)

2. Is there something that makes deleting components easier? (Not being able to remove border edges, vertices, deleting edges leaves vertices still intact)

3. Something similar to Mesh cleanup in modo? Removing double, overlapping polys, welding vertices etc.

Replies

• Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
    1. select > lasso style
    2. not really sure what you mean, I've never had a trouble deleting stuff.
    3. Geometry > mesh cleanup

Edit: Oh damn, I'm an idiot. Read it the wrong way round. Haha, sorry.
  • vx_
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    1. best way is probably make a short mel script and bind Q to toggle between Lasso and standard click to select.
    2. don't know... not sure if it's possible
    3. Polygon menu set, Mesh->Cleanup...
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    2. Scripting. I've made a script that would randomly delete non-border edges, and then clean up any verts that were on a straight line, ie not holding together a corner. 
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    2. There's the Edit Mesh > Delete Edge/Vertex that does it a bit different from the regular delete. This command will also remove connected vertices if you were to use it on an edge.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    in edge mode
    backspace   --> delete edge only
    ctrl + backspace   --> delete edge + vertex 

in vertex mode
    backspace  --> delete only floating verticies
    (you could select all verticies for the mesh but it will only delete verticies with two connecting edges)
  • Nico0307
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nico0307 polycounter lvl 8
    For 2. Try to get used to the right click marking menus. For deleting an edge with its vertices you usually just shift right click and drag to the left. This way of accessing tools is also the fastest way to model stuff, although it requires you to be in the right component mode to get the right tools. ( Like you have to be in Object mode to access the edge ring tool. Or vertex mode to get the weld thing) The options also change by pressing shift.