Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Desert Ruins

Raayaar
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Raayaar polycounter lvl 4

Hello,

I've finished this modular ruins set for Unreal Engine 4. I mean, I consider it finished, but I know there's a lot of room for improvement :smile: The focus was on modularity of the props to allow the users to create different setups. I'm mostly posting it here (my first time, btw) to get some feedback and then use it on my next project. I'm counting on you, polymasters! :wink:  

https://youtu.be/suUAwey3zZc

Replies

• hmm_rock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm_rock polycounter lvl 10
    Hey this looks really nice! Since it is a rather simple scene I think it might benefit to add some more geo to the ground textures, specifically the stone pathway. I really like the chipping on the cylindrical blocks. It would be really interesting to see some more story telling elements brought in/expanded upon (carvings, excavation site equipment). Some shrubs and foliage would go a long way to add a little life and movement as well! Good work, look forward to seeing what you do next :)
  • Raayaar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raayaar polycounter lvl 4
    @hmm_rock 
    Yeah, I tried using tesselation and displacement on the ground. But since it's the actual Unreal landscape geometry, it's too low poly even with higher tesselation factor, so the result was not that much better. I do have all the height maps, so I might try using a static mesh with displacement for the ground.
    Foliage. One of the reasons I chose desert environment is because I didn't have the time to work on the foliage. I won't be able to avoid it in the next project, though :smile: 

Thanks for the feedback, man, very much appreciated! :wink: