Home Technical Talk

3ds max: some help for an easy animation :)

Marou.one
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Marou.one polycounter lvl 3
Hi guys!
I'm working on an environment with a an animated camera (green + red) :

The green part should rotate only vertically (x axis).
The hole camera (green part + red part) should rotate only horizontally (z axis).
With these 2 rotations combined, the camera's objective should be able to follow any target.

To do that, I used a skin modifier with 2 bones :
The bone 1 controls the green part.
The bone 2 controls the red part.
Then I linked the bone 1 to the bone 2.

So when I rotate the bone 2
horizontally (z axis), the whole camera rotate horizontally and
when I rotate the bone 1 vertically (x axis), the green part rotate vertically.
Basically, this is the result I was looking for, but I have 2 issues:
- There are successive and very quick variations of the red part's size during the animation and it looks like a glitch.
- When I rotate horizontally the bone 2, the bone 1 follows but its gizmo does not. So i can't anymore rotate this bone using the x axis (or the camera will rotate in a weird angle that doesn't make sense with its mechanical structure), and I need to combine a rotation on x and y axis.

It looks like this is not the right way to do things and any help will be really appreciated!

Thank you guys!

Replies

• Zhalktis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zhalktis polycounter lvl 2
    The red part glitch: It's difficult to imagine what could be wrong in such a simple setup. Does it still do that if you disable the skin and link the object to the red part's bone? If not: it might be a weight problem, try to assign the weights using the Skin's weight tool dialog.

The rotating part: try switching to gimbal or local coord sys and animate in it. If it doesn't let you switch to gimbal, disable forcing of local coords during animate (Preferences -> Animation -> uncheck Local Center During Animate).
  • Marou.one
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marou.one polycounter lvl 3
    I checked and everything was looking fine, so I just deleted the skin and the bones and recreated them again, and now it's working! And the local coord sys too!
    Thanks Zhalktis! :)