Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's the Beast

The Beast of Us ;)

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Zielarz vertex
FINAL SUBMISSION:

The Beast of Us

The Beast is lying dormant in every human being. While it remains concealed deep inside, it keeps a watchful eye and awaits its time. And when it finally come, you will be able only to watch with the rest of your consciousness as the horror spreads. Because beast lives in every human being.

I hope for your comments and I wish good submissions for all of us :)

_________________________________________________________________________________________

FIRST POST:

Hi,
After some brainstorming I choose one of my ideas. It's something like Francisco Goya's The Sleep of Reason. It's about human nature and how we are all beast in some sense. I'll have a character that is partially human and partially beast or beast is getting out of human still as one character.

For start this is my ref.

As it goes for his beast side I probably will do something like Bloodborne Beasts, as a tribute to the game which I'm big fan of.

Replies

• Zielarz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zielarz vertex
    Some early work in progress of the beast. In terms of proportions I think that body is almost there. Still I need to figure out what to do with head. I wanted to make the beast as classic werewolf something like in Bloodborne. Now I'm thinking that some twist in the design would be nice, so I need to think about it. Also I'll probably change the idea for the scene. As i wrote in first post - I had few ideas and after I got approved on making mirror by copying character (in QA thread) I'm thinking about other stuff. It will be in first person perspective like the viewer is the beast and it's looking on his reflection in blood stain. At least this is the basic idea.

• Zielarz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zielarz vertex
    I'm starting to adding some details. Still I'm not sure about few things like head.

• Zielarz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zielarz vertex
    I'm more or less done with body. I'll probably come back later for some tweaks but for now it's done. Now I'm going to do some clothes and hairs and than start low poly.

• BrianDolan89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrianDolan89 polycounter lvl 9
    I'm totally digging this. Great job so far!
  • Tadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Zielarz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zielarz vertex
    Thank you guys :).
  • Pixelgorilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelgorilla polycounter lvl 2
  • Zielarz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zielarz vertex
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Looks really cool! I like how you tackled the muscles. I am thinking though that based off your references, it would be cool to see some asymmetry in the face making it look more disfigured. Even going as far as offsetting the position of the eyes.
  • Zielarz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zielarz vertex
    Thank you and I believe you have right. I've made some asymmetry but it's probably too small. I'll do something with it :).

• Zielarz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zielarz vertex
    Cloths update - most of the elements are in place. Now I need to make some tweaks, extra detail and than I can start making low poly. Some parts (like chains) will be added to posed low poly mesh. I was wondering if I should pose high poly model first but I think it'll be harder to make good low poly from it.

• gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Looking really good. I like how tight the skin looks around the muscular areas. Are you doing the cloth in marvelous designer? Or all in ZB?
  • mcgillchris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mcgillchris polycounter lvl 4
    Phenomenal work. Something about his hood seems a little off though. It could just be me but it almost seems to hide is expression. Not that I could do anything close to this good though. 
  • Zielarz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zielarz vertex
    GILESRUSCOE- thank you. Yes, basic shape was made in Marvelous Designer. This was my first attempt on making cloth in this program. Bigger folds are generated.

MCGILLCHRIS - thanks man. The thing with the hood (actually it is a piece of cloth) is that I'm not sure if it'll be present in final render. You are the second person whom sad that. Originally the beast was meant to be naked. Only hairs. But when I looked on some other guys works I thought that I'm focusing more on the idea and less on character concept. That's why I thought about cloths that'll support the story. The hood may actually become not needed. 
  • Zielarz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zielarz vertex
    This is probably the last update before final submission. I'm still making textures and some testing. Beside that character needs posing, making stand and of course final lighting and composition. It'll be a hard week. I'll probably need to cut some corners here and there but I hope that it should still be a good quality work.

• BrianDolan89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woah. great job
  • Zielarz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zielarz vertex
  • Zielarz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zielarz vertex
    Oops, it seems that this will be the final update before submission ;). I wanted to introduce you this special someone - Dolly the true beast of this story.

Ok, I missed the April Fools Day ;).
  • llRobinll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    llRobinll polycounter lvl 5
    wow man love it, what are you rendering this in? Those materials and lighting look amazing
  • Zielarz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zielarz vertex
    Thank you @llRobinll. As for rendering it's all done in Marmoset Toolbag. Aslo it can look even better ;)
  • Zielarz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zielarz vertex
    Ok, it seems once again that this isn't my final update, but I have some dilemma. I'm merging everything together and I'm still thinking about the shoot. My primal thought was that this will be an first person view as if the viewer was beast himself. From the beginning of my work on that character I knew that this is very risky. Now as I'm making it I see more cons so I'm not sure if I finally go this road. I can do something very similar in more traditional way, but it won't have this viewer-beast connection. What are your thoughts?

• Pixelgorilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks amazing!
  • BrianDolan89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I personally really like this route but I can see how you're running into some problems. I feel that having a wide shot rather than a compacted one would you give you more range. Right now its very close quarters and too much is happening to get a clear idea of what you are trying to convey. When I first looked at it I could not tell what you were trying to do. I love the approach though. The only suggestions I have ( and these are totally just my opinion) is to widen the shot. Give yourself some more room. I would also pick areas of focus. My eyes were bouncing all over the place trying to get a read on it. Maybe the area of reflection in the blood will be the first main area but the rest of the blood have some smudges or ripples. (For example, where his hand is in the blood its very clean. Maybe make it seem like theres contact with the hand and blood.) I would also recommend moving the doll to the side a bit. Its very close to the face and kind of fights with the main area. Flatten the ground out a bit and not so much blur. Too much blur makes it difficult to figure out whats happening. I understand the reason for it but just keep it to a minimum. Sorry, kind of going on and on. I love this idea though for your beauty shots. It really gives it more depth to the story and not just showing off a really cool character. Hopefully this helps. Great work so far. 
  • Zielarz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zielarz vertex
    @Pixelgorilla thank you!

@BrianDolan89 thank you for your reply. Yes, for now there is too much going on and I think that foreground and background are merging into one. If it was 2D painting I would change values between them. Maybe I try with the fog or different shaders for mirrored character. Also I think as you that there should be less blood so that wooden floor will mask some areas and make them clear. As for ripples I was thinking about them but I was afraid that it will make mirrored character less clear. I'll need to check that out because I wanted some blood drops from fingers. The doll was supposed to be in different spot, but it wasn't in the frame. Maybe as you suggest widening the shot will help in finding better place. As for that - I wanted FOV of 50-60 like in FPS games, but the face of character is a bit small. Now it's 35 but as you wrote it's too condensed. I'll need to try to do something with it. Also lighting this thing is quite tricky. The whole character shot will need different setup. Anyway thanks a lot.
  • Zielarz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zielarz vertex
    I was supposed to end this today, but as I notice that the deadline was pushed back I'll give myself an extra day. I'm almost done. I'm mostly playing with lighting and camera angle. For the first beauty shoot I'll probably choose one of those.

As it goes for the second one I'm still fighting, but at least for now it is quite hard for me to do it in Marmoset without making some serious cuts. So probably I'll make some fixes and go with that. It's a risk, but this is how I planned it from the beginning and I knew that this'll be bold.

And that's something extra from testing hairs - I love those moments when you see something good on one side of model and bad on the other :/...

• DavidAguero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidAguero vertex
  • OBSTEG0X
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBSTEG0X vertex
    Creepy, and bloody as hell. Sounds perfect to me! This is a great piece, I have seen a lot of "typical" beast on here and this is a great spin on that concept. Well done.
  • Zielarz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zielarz vertex
    @DavidAguero Thanks man!

@OBSTEG0X Thank you! Yes it's more classical approach to the theme but with some twist in form of FPP mode :D
    As this is my first contest here at Polycount (well it's also my first 3D contest generally) is there any final gallery of all works after the deadline? There are so many topics and so many works that I wonder if i need to look to each one or will there be some special topic with every piece?
  • fantasymaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fantasymaster polycounter lvl 12
    This one's so creepy. Greate textures and scenery.
    I think the fur need some stronger reflections. Keep pushing it.
  • nikola3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nikola3d polycounter lvl 4
    Nice work. How did you did hair and fur?
  • Zielarz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zielarz vertex
    @fantasymaster Thanks! I wasn't sure about reflections. This is first time I'm doing hairs for character so I still need to learn alot. Thanks for your feedback.

@nikola3d Thank you. As for the hairs their are all made on cards and placed by hand.
  • Zielarz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zielarz vertex
    I updated the first post with final submission! Huh, I'm so tired that I'll give myself few days off and then I'll come back and I write few things plus I'll add some additional pics of T-pose mesh.

And now I can finally go play some Dark Souls 3! Praise the Sun :)

• Pixelgorilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks amazing! Get some sleep!
  • razzman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razzman polycounter lvl 7
    Brutal stuff man :) , great work.
  • Zielarz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zielarz vertex
    @Pixelgorilla Thanks man! First free weekend from 2 months feels so good!

@razzman Thank you :)
  • Brikbrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brikbrice polycounter lvl 5
    This is great !
    Bravo !