Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's the Beast

The Beast - Mechanical Engineer

My take on the Beast will be a Mechanical Engineer. I will be combining elements of different animals as well as mechanical parts.  

References and Concepts coming soon.

Replies

• kennis
    Hello again!

Here's a little bit more information on the character that I'm working on, as well as some reference/concept shots:

The background for this "Mechanical Engineer" is that he spends almost all of his time in his workshop where he creates little robots and gadgets - mainly small + cute stuff. While he is passionate about what he does, his main "weakness" is to perfect each cute creation that he makes, but never satisfied with anything he finishes. 

The scene I will create will show the Beast sitting in the middle of his shop working on some sort of little robot/gadget, surrounded by a bunch of his previous creations cover the majority of the floor.

Here are some references that I started off with for the Beast:

From these references, I sketched up a concept of the character that I will be working with:

-Mainly Owl features, combined with lion-type mane
    -Tiger-style patterns (only on the hand in the concept, but I will add more to the foot and head in 3D)
    -Mechanical Arm and Leg (Both with springs to reduce shock on impact)
    -Glasses without temples (ie. no arms on the side), secondary lenses to magnify
  • kennis
    While working on the concept, I started the high poly version of the glasses. I'll refine the details a little later.

Progress shots on the Beast model will come soon!
  • fantasymaster
    Offline / Send Message
    fantasymaster polycounter lvl 12
    Cool concept, i like the idea of a tiger-owl mix. 
  • kennis
    @fantasymaster Thanks man! Much appreciated.

Here's a progress shot from ZBrush on the sculpt, as well as some renders of the high poly mechanical arm/leg.  I'll post another WIP shot of the character as soon as I get some feather details in it.