Home Technical Talk

Unreal Engine 4 or Marmoset Toolbar for character presentation?

Farina
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Farina polycounter lvl 4
Hello guy, i have a lot of questions about these two programmes!

First.

1. I have seen different character presentations like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK64twSZrA0) and im really confused.  I mean, why Unrealengine4 instead of marmoset? You can do this real time rendering with camera in marmoset too, with the same quality or?

2. I don't understand, why people render their characters in UE4. 

Help  :- O

Replies

• Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    UE4 is free, would be my guess :o Marmoset is of course awesome and offer a real time viewer you can embed on website too.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    UE4 is a lot more open ended and can do animations and a bit more fancy camera work, but Marmoset gives fanatic results right out of the box, and is simpler, easier, and quicker. UE4 can do more complex materials, and animated particle effects. 
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    If you really want to know your shit then you need to use both, I can't emphasize enough the importance of learning the game engine workflow. Marmoset is the perfect tool I use to see how my work flow is looking from normal maps to completion, it works across the board and is an invaluable workflow asset. UE4 or what ever engine you wish to work with is what makes the difference between an artist and technical artist. If you really want to work in the GI then learn how to present your work and show that you have basic game engine workflow skills. You can't do your original post in marmoset ! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toLJh5nnJA8

Cheers

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    it'll also be about familiarity: if you happen to work with UE all day long, chances are you will know about all sorts of not so obvious functionality and tweaks to make stuff look really nice and comparable to or even better than what toolbag can give you out of the box with no fuss.