Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's the Beast

The Beast: Eastern Concept

TooManyDemons
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
TooManyDemons polycounter lvl 3
I decided to do the Beast from the fairy tale but in an eastern flavor, with the tattered/tarnished garb of a noble warrior. I thought it would be a neat twist. I want him to look ferocious, but retain some relate-able softer emotion; it will be a difficult model like I've never done before.

Here is my first initial sketch (done in GIMP). I'll do some more concept work, and some silhouette sketches before I begin the model. If it's done right, I think this idea could be really awesome.

Replies

• TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to go with a more lion-like appearance, to better resemble the classic Chinese statues.
  • TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Before I begin some design work on the Beast's torso and clothing, I need to know his posture. I did some quick sketches and made a few rows to look at.

I like 2, 8, and 12 the most so far.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Nice progress, I like the iterative process you have going on here.
  • TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you :) I want to make a really great model. The contest time frame is generous so I'll take my time and do this carefully.
  • TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided on a more upright posture, but keeping the backward hump as a mane of hair that would tail off into a long ponytail.

I know he looks like a wookie in this picture. And I'm definitely trying to avoid the Kung Fu Panda look.... This main sketch is about his clothing/armor... I think I'd like his head to be a lot larger.

I tried full armor on him but it took a lot of the charm out of the beast. But I didn't want him looking too scholarly either.

I settled for a non-symmetrical design with half armor and half noble garb. I think it's ideal for this character. I'm almost ready to begin working on a base mesh. Just a few more iterations for his arms, legs and feet.

• TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was anxious to do some sculpting today, and the head seemed like a good place to start. Blender's sculpting tools have come quite a long way, and for this model I'd like to put them to the test. First I'll use the dyntopo feature to create a base mesh for subdivision.

• TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now I have a basic head blockout. I'll add a mane and fur later (so he looks more like a lion and less like a bull) but I'll save that for later detail. Next I'll get to work blocking out the torso (and fitting the head onto it).
  • RakibHasan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RakibHasan polycounter lvl 5
    concepts looks good. looking forward to it 
  • TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to complete the blockout before breaking symmetry. I want to get the basic concept down in full; then break symmetry and add detail.
  • TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not too concerned with anatomy at this point. I just want to get the volume I'm aiming for.

• Dabou Master
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dabou Master polycounter lvl 8
    Starting to look cool :).
    I like the start of the outfit.
  • TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you ^^ A long way to go still.
  • TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now I'm finishing the form at its most basic, minus the armor and much of the clothing. I've widened the torso and broadened the shoulders, and slightly increased the size of the head. At this stage the figure is looking very much like a bull, especially since I opted for hooves as the feet. The outfit doesn't look very eastern either. All that will change soon.

• TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now it's time for detailing the base form. I start by duplicating the Beast's horn and using it to make claws. I isolate the arm and push the polys to 2.2 million. I use a lighting preset which resembles Mudbox, which I've always loved. I started 3D art in Mudbox and it's nostalgic.

• TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And on to the fur... A lot of this will be covered up on one side by straps/armor pieces. But the other side will be bare.

• TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I plan on some detailed jewelry and clothing to go over parts of this; I'll get to that in a bit. My next target will be the sleeve, and on to convincingly weld it to the tunic.

• Shamaz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool! Detail is really looking good!
  • TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ SHAMAZ thanks ^^ still have a long way to go. This should be interesting...
  • KingKellogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KingKellogg polycounter lvl 6
    How'd you do that fur? It looks sweet!
  • TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blender has a really cool "crease" tool. It's like a dam standard and a pinch rolled into one. Super great for making clothing too.

The Zbrush approximate would be the dam standard, or (if you're in Mudbox) the knife tool. First I have to create the locks of fur with the layer brush so I don't get confused about the flow. Then carve in and upward alternately with the crease tool over each clump. I plan on going over each one again in Substance Painter for even finer detail.

I don't think alphas get as good of results for this sort of effect. It takes forever so it's a good test of zen.

I'm glad you like it :) I still have a long way to go. 
  • TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the basis for the tunic. A lot will be added to this later (straps, pouches, buttons, armor, ect.).  It's around the deep end of 4 million polys so far. Now the fun part; I get to do the head of this Beast.

• luxxo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great progress TOOMANYDEMONS. I started using Blender last year and I fell in love too :) (I didn't try sculpting though).
  • Dabou Master
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys like you make me believe I'll be able one day to create good sculpts with Blender. I always feel depressed when I see that fur level of detail though ... And the wrinkles on the hands ... I guess I tend to forget the power of the tools I use when it's just a lack of skill ^^.
    Can't wait to see the head :smiley:  !
  • TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys :) The head will be tricky. It will take some time, I'll post more progress in a few days.
  • TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've decided to completely re-structure the head. To give the beast a more relate-able appearance, I've angled the eyes so they face forward. I've also given him some strong masculine traits such as a pronounced zygomatic structure and a strong jaw.

My idea is to make the beast more "hansome" and favorable as a main character in a story (about as much as a beast can be I suppose). I used a curved cylinder to form the gums and started by adding the form for the teeth, moving things around and getting everything to line up.

• TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided the teeth and mouth would be one of the first things to draw the eyes in a beauty shot, so they need extra attention. It's grueling work; by the end the teeth and gums altogether are 5.6 million polys.

Afterward, I added a displace modifier (set to 0.005) to the teeth to explode them a little and tighten the gaps.

• TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The model so far is 12.8 million polys. With the teeth and gums out of the way, I'm going to start work on the rest of the head.

• TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I begin the head by sculpting the fur. I like to block out and detail as I go; I have a good idea of where it's going. I want this Beast to be very shaggy.

• TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The hair straps will later terminate in ornamentation. I block them out and detail them.

• TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blender doesn't have an Insert Mesh brush, but it does have an array modifier that can follow a curve. I create a single braid using a basic coil mesh and shoot it down a curve positioned over the Beast. I use a displace modifier to eliminate the gaps.

The braids will later terminate in ornamentation. 

• TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now I wrap up the basic head detail. Where the braids cross, there will later be ornamentation/jewelry.

• TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With the head complete and everything decimated (using Meshlab), the model is 13.8 million polys. Blender handles just fine as long as I don't collect modifiers, and keep things on separate layers; I export the pieces to a new file so I can add more to the sculpt. But of course, I keep the original subdivision file in case I need to change something.

• TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

My next task is to make a tongue, finish the braids and add some jewelry. Then I move on to the lower body.
  • Dabou Master
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aren't the horns a little bit too simple compared to the complexity of the other parts ? In my humble opinion it feels a little bit "unfinished".
    Also I can't see well for the face, is it fur ? Because it looks a little bit like scales (fur scales ? ^^).
    (It might be stupid to mention it but I greatly appreciate that you explain how you do your little tricks with braids and else because I just discover how ignorant I am about the tools I've been using for years ... and am learning a few things !)
  • TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The clothing would be too simple as well. No seams, no threads, ect. That's what I love about Substance Painter.

The horns will be decorated. I'm not done with the head yet, just the basic form over which to add detail.

As for the fur, we'll see what happens. Patience, grasshopper!

As for the tricks, you're welcome. There's a lot of pretty cool stuff you can do in Blender.
  • TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to do some remesh work (since I don't enjoy doing it and the head was pretty complex). I use the Retopoflow add-on for this, and straighten things up with smooth, displace and shrinkwrap modifiers to polish the flow.

After several test bakes in Substance Painter, I have a nice UV layout for the upper body, which will be one 4k material. It's at 13.5k polys so far.

Next I remesh the teeth and tongue, and then on to sculpting the lower body.

• TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately, I don't think I'll finish this guy on time. I have a lot of work to do on current projects. It's been a fun model, I think I'll finish this on my own time. Best of luck to all contestants!
  • Dabou Master
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll keep on the progress updates. I do enjoy working on this model. I doubt I'll finish on time :P but you never know... 

working on uploading some new stuff. I just got his pants done.
  • TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I looked around the forums (and gazed soberly at my evil calendar), and realized how far behind I really am. I probably should have started with a base mesh.

Here are the sculpted pants. I'll finish the tail and legs when I have a few spare hours. 

• TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So this is my vision, pretty much...

I've started blocking out the armor to see what needs to be done. A LOT. And not just what you see here. Straps, pouches, flasks, ect. I wanted to make something beautiful and extraordinary with the details on the clothing and armor.

I'm pretty sure this model isn't going to be ready by the contest deadline. I'm also pretty sure that it's going to take more than 100k triangles. The upper torso (without armor) is 13k polys. And then there's texturing, rigging and posing the model... and the stand... I imagined him next to an intricate chinese archway, standing atop a crumbling lion statue, leaning on a beefy pole-axe.

So, I'll continue working at a leisurely pace and do this right. I plan on finishing the model, even after the contest is over. It will be a pretty killer asset.

I'll continue posting progress in this thread past april 11th.

• Dabou Master
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In two days the evolution is quite impressive.
    While you were on very detailed things, progression looked really slow (by "slow" I mean "quick as a lightning" compared to me ^^) but just the blocking of the armor already looks like a big step forward. It's sad that you can't make it before the end of the contest but I think too that it has great potential and it would be a shame that you let it unfinished (after the end of the contest I mean).
    You have the good philosophy though, I didn't have the skills to enter the contest but I could have tried just to challenge myself, it's way too late for me now ^^, I'm living this competition through your work ! (that sounds so selfish oO)
    And I'm learning things during the process so I guess you've won an annoying supporter right here ^^ (not too much I hope).
  • TooManyDemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words Dabou ^^. Don't sell yourself short! Everything takes practice and we all learn constantly. There are some fabulous models in this contest already, I've been studying closely as well.

I do plan on finishing the model completely and work on it a little each day. I have a lot of other projects I have to keep on as well, but I've made it a habit to always finish. I'll post detailed updates to further enrich the Blenderheads reading.

This model was an opportunity to really explore Blender's sculpting capability.

Before this I wasn't aware of how powerful Blender's sculpting tools truly were. I can create custom brushes that can mimic virtually every tool in Zbrush, and it handles as well as Mudbox in terms of feel / control. With the Quick Prefs addon, I can adjust lighting dynamically as I sculpt. It even has radial symmetry and dynamic topology. I can even paint height maps right on the model and use them with a displacement modifier (something I'm doing now to make detailed jewelry for the model). Furthermore, all my traditional box modeling tools are right next door.

Now all Blender needs is a good remesher. If it can do that, then it's got everything. In my humble opinion, with Blender's recent updates, it is a legitimate professional modeling/sculpting tool.

I'll keep this model based in Blender and exploit its features to the fullest. I'd learn a lot from it, and it's pretty fun so far.