Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Little Fantasy Scene...

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
A lil scene I'm working on...posting here in hopes of motivating me to work on it. I hope to make it 3D & put it into one of those 3D viewers which you rotate about to view the entire scene. Its a monster looking for the hero, while the hero looks for the monster...also, not yet viewable is the hero's trusty dog companion (also adorned in armor) nearby the monster's tail...so ideally, there's constant interest as u rotate. It sounds good on paper anyhow... 

Replies

• YBourykina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YBourykina RIOT Games
    cute concept, can't wait to see what you do! :D 
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    great design! idea sounds really funny too, should turn out cool :)
  • JamieMc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieMc polycounter lvl 18
    Looks interesting so far.  Look forward to seeing progress.
  • 8bitTurtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bored @ work, I evidently used my feet to scribble some ideers on a notepad. I then later refined them in Photoshop. I'm not too keen on the proportions currently (i want it more exaggerated) but I expect to tweak that in 3D...

• 8bitTurtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was relatively satisfied w/ the designs & rendered them...but upon further thought, I now feel they should be far simpler & more generic. Anyways, I have had ex-coworkers that passionately hated the way I present my art w/ flavor text and whatnot...this one is for you fellers. XD

• 8bitTurtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodled my monster...I wanted something reptilian w/ mammalian characteristics (hence the fur). I like to show the chicken scratch as we all gotta start somewhere. Got feedback & refined...ended up with something I'm luke-warm with as the design itself is not very interesting but at this point...i just want to start messing w/ ZBrush. I anticipate deviating quite a bit as I want the horns & forearms 2-3 times larger...

• RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Got feedback & refined...

Hello. Where are you getting feedback? I like to read this kind of stuff, you can pick up some good ideas.
  • 8bitTurtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN said:
    Where are you getting feedback? 
    Oh I actually pinged some coworkers and they respond with feedback or better yet, paintovers. For the monster above, I had a version where the horns were really dinky & the monster was lacking that lil 'umph' that I was looking for...a coworker painted the horns longer and it made a huge difference. Often times, it helps to get fresh eyes from others and/or simply step away and come back.

Like even now, I initially didn't care for my monster design as its very generic but now when I see it, I think its right on point. For what I'm trying to achieve, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts...i wouldn't want an entity to dominate...i want the overall composition to work in harmony. This is just my personal taste tho...
  • 8bitTurtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I modeled out the monster and it turned out better than i expected tbh. I also drew out the warrior char so that i can model him next. I really like his bottom-heavy pear shape but thats about it...its almost as if subconsciously countering/contrasting the top-heavy monster. I'm gonna go ahead and say i did that on purpose even tho that wasn't the case. He doesn't look like he'll translate very well into 3D but time will tell & i'll deviate as wanted/needed...since its my char/design anyhow, no butthurt to be had. 

• miguelnarayan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miguelnarayan polycounter lvl 8
    Good job on the proportions!
  • Chewychoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cute concept for the shield and sword! The character and monster looks awesome!