Home Technical Talk

Art Style Guides

cliker
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
cliker polycounter lvl 2
I am looking for some art style guides so that I can work towards certain art styles that are stylistically correct for World of Warcraft and Call of Duty Black Ops 3.  I'm looking for something similar to Valve's DOTA 2 style guides that say what maps they use and how the are imported into the Source Engine.  I was going to e-mail either Blizzard of Treyarch but I 1- couldn't find an e-mail for general inquiry and 2- didn't want to be that guy who ask random questions and what not.

The google search and Polycount search bring up some similar questions asked but I haven't found anything yet.  Are there some alternative such as ripping models and textures from the game to see how they work?  Is that even legal?  Thanks ahead of time and hopefully something turns up or a better solution come across. 

Replies

• Panupat
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    I don't think there's 1. To my understanding, it's all about how each artist observe the existing art and come up with their own interpretation.

Even at a professional level. My studios had received quite a lot of out-source works for various stylized games (not Blizzard) and all they tell us, is that our art "needs to match their style" there's no explanation or anything, only examples of their works or what they want. And the only way to find out if we'd got it right, is by doing review with the client. Same apply to toys commercial, too.

So far, the art directors I've work with all had really good eyes and they could almost always nail the style within a couple revisions.

Steam workshop may provide a bit more comprehensive guide, but that's not an area I've familiar with.
  • Eric Chadwick
    We have some style guides here. Not specifically those games though.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Art_Bible

Panupat is right, this is how it usually works for external art teams. Sometimes you'll get an art guide from the Art Director, but usually it's just a list of specs to match, plus some screenshots, maybe an example model.

Ripping models is generally OK, as long as you don't share what you find. When you start posting online or torrenting content, you become a target for company legal departments. Ripping is an age-old learning technique, I think lots of developers do this though few admit it, for obvious reasons.
  • Gaurav Mathur
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaurav Mathur polycounter lvl 13
    It looks like Jon Jones is picking up work on his websites again.  His Game Art Style Guides (www.gameartoutsourcing.com) site doesn't have the specific games you mention, but you could try putting in a request to him and see if he can track them down and secure permissions.
  • cliker
    Offline / Send Message
    cliker polycounter lvl 2
    All of this sounds great guys.  Thanks for the advice and if I dig up anything else, I'll post up.  I will check it all out and report back later.