Home Technical Talk

How to resize uvmapping?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hello , I have a large mesh exported to work on zbrush , its millions of polys , but since I had to load in xnormal , it creates only one texture as far as I know and not tiled, so I have put all into one mesh and then split the several uv into one single 8192 x 8192 image.

now How can I do once I get the proper maps to remap the splitted model parts from the portion of that 8192 size UV to just a tile and so occupy all the uv space of a square without loosing seam position?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you talking about a multi tile uv? Afaik Xnormal does not support them, it only bakes what is inside the 0-1 uv space.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I know , this is why I made one single big 8192x8192 texture for xnormal and I thought then to split into 16 tiles after, but I think I will have problems aligning the uvmaps of each one on the correct seams , because when I will split the mesh into 16 parts I willhave to realign manually everything and I am prety sure I won't be able to fix seams ... perhaps is the wrong approach I took , is there another way I could do this or a way to fix what I am doing?
    Sorry I have never made so large meshes to bake and its a big hero structure for an environment .

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the wrong method for a large environment model. Better to use modular approach (if architecture) or tiled-texture texture blending (if a mountain or terrain).
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I know , but tiling is not an option for my purpouse , by modular  , I gues you mean making single chunks and compose them after, wichis also not an option atm ...
    The problem is that Xnormal doesn't allow tiled normal map extraction , so is there a way to overcome this or do it in another way?

The first option is not usable because the environment I want to put it in does not have any ambient occlusion or post process effect , and the whole object would look like tiled texture and the second is not possible as I have one single object entry .
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tile textures and use light mapping to bake ambient occlusion using uv2.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another uv set. You can have multiple uv sets, each with a different layout. 

Which game engine are you using? Each one does UVs differently. Depends on the shader. 
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I am trying to do it for Slife , but what u mean by uv set?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Second Life? I'm not familiar with the workflow. Does it use an editor program? Check the help files. Do they have a wiki for content creators?

Because it is an online game, you need to use smaller textures. No one wants to wait for a 8k texture to download!
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Second Life? I'm not familiar with the workflow. Does it use an editor program? Check the help files. Do they have a wiki for content creators?

Because it is an online game, you need to use smaller textures. No one wants to wait for a 8k texture to download!

Its very primitive, but I am trying to give a more updated touch , its normal maps and stuff had just been implemented and is not very advanced, themaximum number of texture size is 1024 and there is a limit in dimension of objects, so I am trying to make a superbig mountain but I do not want to use a single 1024 texture for it as it woudl look crap , neither a tiling one would be good , the 8192 map was just made because of the xnormal limit, not beeing able to bake tiled normal maps.  the idea is to upload multiple 1024 texture and recompose that by sidening the meshes, but I know this is also problematic due to seams of textures and normals that might cause problems .
    but what you meant by UV sets?
  • Eric Chadwick
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Ok I knw that page but I don't get what you meant sorry :o ?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uv set = uv channel. A model can have multiple uv layouts, each on a different channel (1,2,3,etc.). Tiling UVs for the color map (uv1), unique UV for the lightmap (uv2), etc.
  • Internet Friend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Internet Friend polycounter lvl 9
    Out of morbid curiosity I looked up Second Life's materials. It only supports one UV set per material, diff/spec/normal, no lightmap, no vertex blending textures on meshes. I would seriously reconsider how you're approaching this project and make something stylized that can use tiling textures and modular cliff/rock pieces.

If your plan is really to use 16 1k unique textures baked off a sculpt rather than a few tiling textures I don't think anyone who comes across your asset will be pleased with the load time or footprint.