Home Technical Talk

Stock textures/images vs. game art ?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Chai polycounter lvl 17
Cgtextures and such served me for years, but I wanted to take my textures one notch up.
Was looking for commercial patterns & elements that can be used in textures, UI and such.
Such as this - photo dune - wood carving image

Then I read the small letters of licensing, and apparently to be used in resellable product (video game, movie), you need to pay 10-20x+ for extended licensing, at which point it becomes moot, as we all know a game would need hundreds if not thousands of those.

Any recommendations for image resources which are friendlier for game artists ?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was going to suggest this one, but the license is too broadly written. For example I couldn't make a game for a publisher, because the site doesn't let me transfer the license. https://www.environment-textures.com/commercial-terms

What exactly do you mean by "to the next level"? Textures.com (was CGTextures) is only as good as your ability to edit and remix the textures... you still have to have talent to make good assets.

It sounds like you want to get better at creating content from scratch. 3d-bake textures are one way. Hand painted is another. Substance Designer and other procedural systems are other ways.

All depends on what you want to achieve. What does the next level mean to you?
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    n/m ended up I just misread the legal licenses.
    ignore this thread.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Which license? Don't leave me hangin bro!
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop sublime tool
    When I worked as a company employee   I did use stock textures since licensing  was their problem.  Sometimes they even had a special person who deal with  the matter.
      Once I started to work as consultant/ independent contractor  I always  had  "the work shall be original content created by contractor or  sub-contracts with original authors shall be provided"   in the agreements + licensing risks  insurance requirements.    With pretty any company I worked for.  
    So I wonder if it's  really a normal practice at all now?  I mean using CG textures and such .