Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Cat rig - stretchy bones

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
LeeMeredith polycounter lvl 7
Hello I've done a bit of research and found out cat (character animation toolkit in 3ds max) rigs are capable of squash and stretch or at least they were, all the articles and tutorials (most broken) are from 2009/13ish and when turning on "manipulation causes stretching" as shown in tutorials, nothing happens the rig wont squash or stretch.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong/if there's more steps I need to do.

Thanks for any help.

Replies

• LeeMeredith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Less than 30 seconds after I posted this, I got it to work.  Now that I think of it, it is pretty obvious I just had to select each bone individually for example thigh, calf, ankle etc and turn on manipulation causes stretching on animation. 

If I could delete the post I would/feel free to admin.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    this one still looks good https://area.autodesk.com/louis_tutorials/squash_and_stretch_with_cat ; Squash takes a bit of extra setup using Max bones, but not difficult.

Everything seems to work as expected in 2015 and 2016. I saw something about having to enable the stretch for all bones in the chain for it to work. maybe it's that?

• LeeMeredith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito said:
    this one still looks good https://area.autodesk.com/louis_tutorials/squash_and_stretch_with_cat ; Squash takes a bit of extra setup using Max bones, but not difficult.

Everything seems to work as expected in 2015 and 2016. I saw something about having to enable the stretch for all bones in the chain for it to work. maybe it's that?

I found that tutorial but it wouldn't load at all, maybe it 's my browser (Chrome) and yup that was the problem, I didn't set the whole bone chain to manipulate. Thanks Hito
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    it's short. To add squash to the CAT rig, you create max bones, Position/Orient the Root to the CAT joint you want squash on, Position/Orient the Tip to the next CAT joint in the chain. Then in Bone Tools Turn off Freeze Length; and enable Squash for the Root. 
  • LeeMeredith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito said:
    it's short. To add squash to the CAT rig, you create max bones, Position/Orient the Root to the CAT joint you want squash on, Position/Orient the Tip to the next CAT joint in the chain. Then in Bone Tools Turn off Freeze Length; and enable Squash for the Root. 
    I left the video to load for a few minutes and eventually it came to life, thanks a lot though.