Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Harry's animation thread

Hey guys, been lurking here for quite a while but I've finally built up the courage to post some work here.
I'm a second year student at the University of Hertfordshire, currently sorting out my reel to apply for internships before production properly starts on a small animated short we have to create for our second semester.

I'd love some feedback on my reel! Tell me I'm terrible, I don't mind. It's the only way I'm going to improve! :)

Replies

• Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rmunday polycounter lvl 9
    You are definitely not terrible, I feel you have put your 2 weakest pieces at the beginning, they feel very floaty. The animation on the phone I feel is actually very good got some good solid poses and it is easy to understand what is going on without even needing the audio on what he has just been told. Same with the fist slam on the table some good feeling of weight to the action. The horses walk, something feels off I think it has to do with lack of shifting weight. The run on the other hand looks well done. 

Judging by this work you are by no means terrible, only been in your second semester you have plenty of time to keep pushing and improving by time you finish you will be well on your way to becoming a very good animator. Always use reference if you can use a player that lets you frame by frame do that to catch the subtle movements of an action.

Well done!
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Second year out of how many?

First things first. Change the colour of the desk in the three shots that have desks. Being the same colour as the background is not a good thing. You may want to adjust the colour of the no armed guy. Since you used that rig so much during your reel, it would just be nice to have him a different colour. Makes you think he's a different person, rather than the same guy with no arms. Really, any time you use the same rig with a different voice, its nice to change the colour a bit. It just helps break that mental barrier. 

First shot - Watch the wrist on the hand holding the pen. Do that action. You`ll notice your wrist pretty much locks in place. Right now your animation has it very disconnected from the arm, rather than following the arm. if that makes sense. 

Third shot - screen left shoulder just sort of floats up. like his clavicle is slowly breaking or something. 

The no armed guy. This could use some timing adjustment when he lands on each thing. and check the curves. Some of the landings feel like he sort of hits a wall when he changes direction. 

But ya, you`ve got some decent stuff in here. Maybe add a loop or 2 for that horse run, and stick it towards the start of your reel more. Definitely your strongest shot. 
  • Harrysmith64
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius said:
    Second year out of how many?

First things first. Change the colour of the desk in the three shots that have desks. Being the same colour as the background is not a good thing. You may want to adjust the colour of the no armed guy. Since you used that rig so much during your reel, it would just be nice to have him a different colour. Makes you think he's a different person, rather than the same guy with no arms. Really, any time you use the same rig with a different voice, its nice to change the colour a bit. It just helps break that mental barrier. 

First shot - Watch the wrist on the hand holding the pen. Do that action. You`ll notice your wrist pretty much locks in place. Right now your animation has it very disconnected from the arm, rather than following the arm. if that makes sense. 

Third shot - screen left shoulder just sort of floats up. like his clavicle is slowly breaking or something. 

The no armed guy. This could use some timing adjustment when he lands on each thing. and check the curves. Some of the landings feel like he sort of hits a wall when he changes direction. 

But ya, you`ve got some decent stuff in here. Maybe add a loop or 2 for that horse run, and stick it towards the start of your reel more. Definitely your strongest shot. 
    Thanks slipsius!

Second year of three. If we're able to get a year in industry then we can make that four years. Doesn't happen all that often though.
    I'll take what you've said and make some improvements to it! Interesting that you think the horse is the strongest - I've been told by other people I've shown my reel to to take it out as it's a bit 'studenty' and boring!