Home Dota 2

RossC - Dota Workshop

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
RossC polycounter lvl 9
Hello!  I am RossC, and I've finally decided that one of my New Year's Resolutions will be to finally finish and publish a Dota 2 item set and hopefully get it in game which would be amazing.

Brief history, two years ago I sort of took a break from the world of 3D modeling.  My reasoning was that while I was comfortable with modeling and somewhat comfortable with sculpting, my texturing and digital painting abilities just weren't there.  It gave whatever models I made a sort of bland look.  So rather than continue learning to model I began to practice and learn how to digitally paint.

I've improved a ton and am more comfortable artistically and with the technical side of Photoshop.  That's why I've decided to jump back into the chaos that is item modeling in hopes that this time I shall harness my newfound prowess and make some really awesome stuff!

---
I made a couple of single items in the past but they were basically foundations of learning the process and are kind of wonky in their own right.

As you can see, the texturing and sculpting wasn't exactly great but I learned the general workflow.

The last thing I worked on that I'm actually pretty proud of is this Forge Spirit:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=234278622

Some further improvements but still not quite there in levels of quality.  It's clear that the textures need work and there's an unbalanced level of detail or interest in the full model.  This is why I took 2 years to focus on getting better at 2D digital art and get comfortable with Photoshop.  But now I'm ready!

I've decided to work on a item set for Omniknight.  Rather than start with a head item, which I usually attempted to do with my previous item set attempts, I'm going to start with the weapon. It's more likely to be less complicated than a head item with hair and such and allows me to brush up on sculpting hard edges.  It also allows me to base the rest of the armor of the set to mirror the aesthetic of the hammer weapon.  Here's a few of the rough silhouette design concepts I've cooked up:

I knew I wanted to have some sort of illuminated part of the hammer, a jewel or some sort of holy stone that powers the weapon, so working with black and white I tried to draft out some ideas.

I'm leaning towards either B or F.  Most of my friends like F but I think I need to rework it's design to feel more hammer like and less axe like.  I would love to have a particle effect over F, but for the time being I'm going to accept that I shouldn't take custom particles into consideration and keep things simple.

I'm liking the end of the weapon hilt of F and maybe the sort of chess piece feel of D's handle I subconsciously did.  What do you all think?  Feedback is heavily welcome!  I'm going to do another phase of rough silhouette concepts, focusing on altering and playing with different iterations of a single concept from above before going into the actual paintover concept stage.

I'll be updating this thread with progress as I take feedback and hopefully learn and improve!

Replies

• linkowner786
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linkowner786 polycounter lvl 7
    i really liked the forge spirit and the F weapon :), hope see in dota !
  • RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    i really liked the forge spirit and the F weapon :), hope see in dota !
    Thanks!  Honestly, the only way it can get in Dota is if I revisit it which I sort of want to do later.  Love the little design I came up with.

Finally did a paintover concept for B.  While I and a bunch of other people liked F, it didn't really feel like Omniknight.  Maybe for Axe, but my quick paint overs just didn't feel like something Omniknight would wield, so I went with B.

I really like the concept and I'm starting to get ideas of how the rest of the set will go.  I'm open to any feedback on the concept.  I'm not sure if I'm going to make the lower parts of the hammer red or if the center part should be red to contrast the rest of the hammer or gold.
  • linkowner786
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, you are right, but have some itens in another hero's, with weapons a lot of different of the basic hero.
    Ex: Necro with your sickle and the Phantom Assassin's get a Sickle very accepted in game.
    but i liked too of B weapon, the colours and de shape are great.
    just one point caught my attention, is the Hammer handle looks to thin.

seeya!
  • RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    yes, you are right, but have some itens in another hero's, with weapons a lot of different of the basic hero.
    Ex: Necro with your sickle and the Phantom Assassin's get a Sickle very accepted in game.
    but i liked too of B weapon, the colours and de shape are great.
    just one point caught my attention, is the Hammer handle looks to thin.

seeya!
    Good point!  Probably a remnant of mirroring half of the hammer unevenly.  It'll change once I model it, based on how thick it needs to be for Omniknight to wield it and how big I want the end of the hammer to be.  Thanks for the feedback!
  • RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9

Started working on the block out of the base model to sculpt over.  I think I still sort of remember how this is done.
  • RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Resuscribed to Digital-Tutors and basically went through hours of tutorials to get a better idea of how the workflow should go.  With that information I redid my initial block out into this:

I need to set up some meshes to work as the indention in the hammer, but the blockout mesh is basically ready for Zbrush!  Now to figure Zbrush out!
  • linkowner786
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The base looks great RossC, i really liked what you do, hope see after zbrush !

• RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    After watching some tutorials, decided to jump into sculpting.

So far, not too bad?  The main thing I haven't gotten down is keeping the trim smooth, especially near the inward edges, they're sort of messy and unclean.
  • RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Sculpted it once, but didn't quite like the look of it so I decided to retry the sculpt now that I have a better idea of what I'm doing:

Much more cleaner than before.
  • RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9

Sculpt is going pretty good!
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    the cracks are looking nice but they're also reeeeeeeeeally fine. remember that not only do you have to bake this down but ingame it'll be literally one tenth the size.
  • RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    ike_ike said:
    the cracks are looking nice but they're also reeeeeeeeeally fine. remember that not only do you have to bake this down but ingame it'll be literally one tenth the size.

Thanks!  It sort of looks alright from a distance and I intend to have the main part of the hammer to have the most texture space, but what should I do to improve the fine scratches and their visibility?  Make them bigger and more visible/exaggerated? I didn't really want to go too crazy because its meant to be more worn metal than stone, so more subtle chipping away than fully worn out edges.  Maybe bigger dents or make the chipped away parts that sort of taper the edges thicker or bigger?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I try and get better at this!
  • RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9

Finished the main hammer ingame model, just barely under the polygon budget of 400 with 388 polys! Now to UV Map it and see how the bake looks on top of it.
  • RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    RossC said:

Finished the main hammer ingame model, just barely under the polygon budget of 400 with 388 polys! Now to UV Map it and see how the bake looks on top of it.
    EDIT:  Turns out the compiler says the model has 770 polys!  Never trust Editable Poly's!   I had a feeling it looked a bit more than that.  Time to optimize it even more.  In the meantime, can anyone help me out with this?  I tested the model inside the Workshop Tools but found that the game was shrinking it down:

This is how it looks like when I skin it to the Hammer0_0,

And this is how the workshop tools compile it:

While the tiny hammer is adorable, what's going on here?
  • ILM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ILM polycounter lvl 7
    polys and triangles isn't the same; inches and centimeters are different too.
  • RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    ILM said:
    polys and triangles isn't the same; inches and centimeters are different too.
    Thanks!  I tried altering the unit scale during export and it seemed to fix the size of the hammer but the position was way off.  I wasn't able to get it into place and I think it's just something to do with the .FBX files in general.  Using Wall Worm for SMD Importing and Exporting got a perfect result with no repositioning needed:

Now to lower the triangles!

EDIT:

Triangle Optimization Finished, 390!

• RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    So here's a weird issue if anyone would like to help me out with:

I did the initial bake and it turned out alright, but noticing a few errors that seem to be brought up with smoothing groups:

So while adding smoothing groups I decided to give it another go with the UV's so I decided to try and make a better UV map.  I thought I did a better job with the new UV Map but XNormal doesn't seem to think so, giving me this with the exact same settings:

Only 4 pair of vertices were edited in the model were repositioned very slightly.  Are UV's that important to the baking process that two different uv maps utilizing pretty much the same model have different results?  Was sewing the edges of the uv islands a bad idea?  Because that's the only main difference I can figure out from the two different uv maps.

At this point I'm thinking about reverting back to the old UV map and just cleaning out some of the errors and artifacts in photoshop.  But first I'm going to see if actually keeping the uv islands seperate changes anything.
  • RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Am I positioning the lower poly over the high poly the correct way?
    Yellow is Low, Red is High:

Should the lower poly be more bloated out? I just assumed it should match as close as possible to it's higher resolution cousin?  I've experimented with editing the geometry but the details continue not to get baked correctly.
  • Swaggernaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggernaut polycounter lvl 2
    You probably have to make a cage, which is  essentially a copy of the low poly but it is bloated out as much so that it covers as much of the high poly as you can. You then add it to your low poly and bake it in xNormal and the errors should be gone. And by adding it I mean you right click on the low poly in xNormal, and click on Browse External cage file. 
  • RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Found out what the issue was.  My high poly model was only detailed on one side.  Somehow when I did the UV map, I selected the faces that were spacially on the flat non detailed side of the high poly.  So my bake was basically just baking out the flat side.  Whoops.  Silly me:

I did a basic import pass with a colorized AO_map and my normal map.  Looks pretty good without any proper texturing I think!  There's a few artifacts I can clean up but for the most part it looks like I'm ready to start texturing the diffuse.  My only issue I want to sort of address is that it seems like dota ignores smoothing groups?  The bottom part of the handle has a very noticeable flat shading to it and it looks off.

Also more advice, I know a point light map is recommended for textures but is it used for a weapon?  Considering the hammer is tilted to it's side is it alright to still try and great a gradient map on the hammer?  Thanks!
  • RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9

Put out a better AO map.  The smoothing group thing is still a problem though.  I think I can probably fix it just by adding more polygons in the LOD0 model, but still.
  • ketura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smoothing groups exist in the Source engine, but they're supposed to be used sparingly, as the way it's implemented is that each smoothing group is essentially a separate mesh, resulting in inflated vert counts if groups are used willy-nilly.  What 3D package are you using?  I'm able to export groups using the Source Engine Exporter for Blender.
  • RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    ketura said:
    Smoothing groups exist in the Source engine, but they're supposed to be used sparingly, as the way it's implemented is that each smoothing group is essentially a separate mesh, resulting in inflated vert counts if groups are used willy-nilly.  What 3D package are you using?  I'm able to export groups using the Source Engine Exporter for Blender.
    I'm using 3DS Max, using Wall Worm as the SMD importer/exporter since I'm not able to get .FBX to work correctly.
  • RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9

Its definitely getting there.  Should I use bigger and less symbols in the center?  It is a bit noisy.
  • RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9

Working out so far.  Though is it too red?  I think the color scheme is two heavy on red and yellow and only now I'm seeing that it may be a bit too bright and saturated, but I'm not entirely sure what color scheme to go with instead?  Platinum?  Dark Stone?

Any suggestions on what to do with the color palette?  I'm sort of unsure how to make it adhere to Omniknight better.
  • RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Pretty much done, but unsure about the original color scheme.  Help me out:

A was the original color scheme I went with, based mainly on his cape but it seems a little too red and yellow for him, or maybe it doesn't?  Which of these looks the best or any suggestions?
  • ketura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent some time trying to describe a mix of D, H, and E, and just gave up and threw something together.  Warning: bad photoshop inbound.

A simple base grey color scheme to the weapon itself (which is going to be hitting things and thus rubbing off any paint etc), with highlights of red and yellow seems to read the cleanest, IMO.  Incidentally, like Omni himself.

EDIT: in other words, I think you just about had it in the post just before last, lol.  Just brighten it a bit.
  • linkowner786
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey RossC G or F for me