Home Adobe Substance

[Solved] Model setup for Substance Designer Pipeline

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
I've been watching a butt load of tutorials on SD/SP recently and It's raised some alarms the moment I started understanding the workflow and theory to how you use SD...

So my most recent model which I had decided to use with SD has shared UVs for optimized texture space...
In order to use SD would that mean I'd have to uniquely unwrap my model instead of sharing the UVs for symmetrical parts?

Can someone explain to me how exactly SD applies it's tiling materials to your model? Is it applied directly over your model's UV Layout or is it calculated differently?

I'm pretty much prepared to scrap my progress and go back to my normal baking stage but I'm not willing to do it until I'm certain that I've approached this pipeline wrong.

Any help is very much appreciated (Y)

Replies

• Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Substance Designer applies textures the same way Photoshop or any other 2d tool would. You don't need unique UVs and can definitely have mirrored parts and such. The only issue you might find is that some baked maps you may use as inputs may not work as well on overlapped geometry like the position or world space normal map, but this shouldn't prevent you from texturing with SD or SP at all and you shoudln't have to redo any work on your models.
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jerc Thank you!

I've got another question regarding this... say for example I had a Sphere, cut in half and then unwrapped uniquely across a UV sheet, Would applying a procedural material over that model create any harsh seams? or better yet if two UV islands weren't the same size but are directly connected together do they have texel density issues as well? I guess my best example for why I'm concerned would be things like hex/cross patterns etc which would really easily show where there's a seam or a break in the pattern.

Also, once you export a substance does your substance output get flattened back into pixels? or does the tiling materials, etc all stay binary like it is in SD?

These are all just me thinking obsessively about the calculations behind the shading, stop me if I've over thought it or gone off topic with it haha.

Thanks!
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    In your sphere example, you can use the tripalnar mapping option on any material you apply to remove any seam and any texel density issue as the texture will be projected in world space.

The outputs of Painter are rasterized bitmaps though, not procedural data like what you would have in SD.
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jerc  Just had a look at it... that's fantastic... Thank you! Everything seems to have been answered, I appreciate the technical help :)!