Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pirate Duelist Character

This is a character Illustration I've been working on. What do you think?

Replies

• SW99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @NicDaCrow
    I'm really digging  the composition, the colour pallette and the textures going! I think it's a good costume design and I'm assuming you're going to add more details later on?

One thing I think you need to work on is the anatomy, especially with the proportions. I don't know if it's the gloves or it's the perspective but the size of the fist is the size of her face. Even big hands won't be bigger than your face. I would know because I have 'em. Make a fist and place it on your face with your nose in your palms and see it for yourself. I suggest you either make the body (or the hands at least) smaller or the head bigger by using the lasso tool. Also try mirroring your drawings both horizontally and vertically to see if certain details match up.

I'm really liking what I'm seein', just make sure you check your drawings every now and then as you progress! :) 
  • Apolloman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apolloman polycounter lvl 2
    I get the feeling the big hand is an attempt at forced perspective and is meant to emphesize what she is holding. If thats the case then the pose may be too static. I find forced perspective works best with more dynamic poses. Nothing too major, just arching a characters back can be enough for this. 

That said the colours look great. The blue and gold contrast really well with the dark tone of the enviroment. 
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    I agree that the colours are great. The cool hues, the golden accents and that bright rim light are so appealing.
    I think her facial expression needs work, it's not clear what she's thinking. Given the context in that image I'd expect her expression to be much more exaggerated.
  • NicDaCrow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys!