Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Import new maps, and update layers?

This may be covered elsewhere, but its hard to search for this specific question.

I've made some game textures with several colour variations, and im ready to start texturing some alternate versions that have some additional structural details, like vents, lights, cables etc.

Is it possible to import my new input maps, but apply my existing layers onto these?

I've got quite a few layers now, and having to make them again would be a damn nightmare!

Or is it possible to import an alternate set of maps into the same project and just disable/enable what i need?

By the way, im absolutely loving Quixel!

Cheers.

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    In this case, S13N1, what I would do:

Create Smart Materials out of your applied materials. Create a new project, apply the Smart Materials to their respective color IDs from the previous project.

This is exactly what Smart Materials are great for - reproducing the same look with different inputs. I caution against reimporting because you'll lose your original project's inputs, which means you'll have to reimport to adjust the original non-destructively. It's better to create new projects and apply SMs to them, I feel. :smile: 

• s13n1
    Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately my smart materials aren't being too smart.

I'm having to export all masks separately, because when i import the material into the new project, the mask is completely wrong.

Is there something im missing?
  • s13n1
    Actually, its something else strange..

I think i've found a bug, but not sure how to replicate it.

Bare with me as i describe it what i've done.

I think whats happened, is that i started with the material Military > Thick Rusted Armor, made changes to the various maps, changed the two paint colours, and adjusted the miscoloration mask. I then duplicated the two Paint Colour layers so i could have paint colour variations, and made subtle changes to each colours miscoloration mask. After grouping them all together to keep the layout clean, it appears to have taken the mask from one of them and applied it to all the other Miscoloration masks.

The annoying thing is that the texture looks right at first, but if you click on the mask, it loads the wrong mask in, overwriting the one that was already there. The mask in the editor clearly looks different to what's on the texture. Once you close the dynamask editor, you can see the original has gone.

Unfortunately I have no idea what my original mask was, so ill have to remake it.. Doh.

I've changed the colour of the miscoloration layer to pink to highlight it:

• Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    If you can reproduce this bug, please don't hesitate to report it on the Quixel Live Support group and let Teddy know. :smile: The more reports we get, the faster these things get fixed!

Sorry about the trouble!
  • s13n1
    Not a problem. A restart isn't so bad for such a simple thing. Gives me a chance to improve it, and using Quixel is fun anyway :smiley: