Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Moose Conquers 2016

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
-insert rant about lack of focus in 2015-

Will be posting my work here! Please Comment with critiques, feedback, tips and tricks, etc!

Thank you :3

Only thing I did in 5 months

Replies

• Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting back in the rhythm.. Feels weird to be sculpting.

First sculpts of 2016! First likeness in a long time (4h)

that sideview omg

And heres a spitsculpt! 40min

• Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more human work! I need to practice transitioning forms. Especially when it comes to wrinkles and overlaps and such. I'm thinking about revisting this once I watch Frank Tzengs sculpting demo/tutorial.. 16 hours is a lot though. He does provide some nice brushes I wanted to give a shot though! We'll see.. C&C Welcome! 

And then another 45min Quick sculpt (Tried not using any smoothing.. I have a bad habit of smoothing out my work too much!!)

• Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some clay, not sure if I want to post that here or not.

Another Likeness WIP

• Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I kind of want to do a character, think I should start focusing on torso/arm/leg anatomy. Even if its a monster that should help :D
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added noise (I know its not the "Right way" but it added a bit to it.)
    Started messing with symmetry and trying to bring out realism more. Having some trouble. Need to study and really focus on wrinkles and fatty/folds and shieeet

Also in other news I'm thinking about entering http://thegameworkshop.net/the-game-challenge-2016/

We'll see! I'll definitely post here if I do :)
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Cool stuff yo! I'm glad you got back into creating art. Do you mind posting the reference you were using for those heads?  They look really good, I want to see how closely they matched the reference.
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool stuff yo! I'm glad you got back into creating art. Do you mind posting the reference you were using for those heads?  They look really good, I want to see how closely they matched the reference.
    You can check out my twitch VOD for the most recent ones, and maybe I should make youtube timelapses. Anyhow, I don't want to post the pictures because they came from a picture pack from Jazza. I don't wanna break copyright before I even make it into the industry!
    https://jazzastudios.com/product/facesreference/

eta: Also thank you ;3
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I changed the woman some more, I'm a bit unsure of how to pursue her further. Will post her again soon (Mostly changes to her head shape that help achieve her likeness. Its a bit "meh")

Need to learn how to achieve skin texture. Think I need to invest in some skin textures? The brushes I have right now are okay.

Do most people use a noise layer THEN do their directional skin brushes on top?

Anyhow have a speed sculpt

45min

Its very apparent that I do not have a strong understanding of wrinkles and folds. More than I had previously, but still very lacking.

Also was playing around with the polycount monthly challenge a bit. Will probably finish it and texture it this weekend, and barely make the deadline!

Bad pic my b : D
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried to get a more "Real" feeling out of her skin, and worked on a couple minor tweaks. Need to do eyelashes/eyebrows/hair
    Sorry the pictures are always real quick shots, Don't want to take time getting a nice picture/render/preview when I'm constantly updating and working. Will do a cool render maybe for the final shot?

• Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some things in progress

Vampire - I split it off from the neck, to work on the body, which caused a lot of distortion as you can see :( 
    (for some reason this is also taken in ortho.. Idk what happened there lol!)

Anatomy practices (First time working on torso..learning lots.)

• Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still alive, Having some trouble since my second monitor broke. Hard to use references and work with just one, Pureref is helping but tabbing out for anatomy references(Pdf) is pretty difficult. Will continue the vampire soon, and hopefully get him finished and textured rather quickly!

Currently working on. Will refine the eyes, and work on the skin soon. Finishing up some of the last little bits.

• Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've still got TONS of points of weaknesses in my sculpts. Especially in the eyes and their transitions in the areas around them.

Need to pick up some high quality skin textures to utilize. Brushes can only do so much lol...And a better understanding of wrinkles and shiet wouldn't hurt.

Places I went wrong:

Started with dynamesh and retopo'd/reprojected messily. Need to pay attention, ended up with TONS of detail in some places and almost none in the lips at 6mil!!

Not paying attention to anatomy. I did some "I know what this is" moments. Ended up setting myself up for some major issues later on. IE The back of the skull was HUGE for some reason. Messed up my spacing of the ear to the front of the face, and the ear to back of skull. etc. Cheeks ended up larger to fill some of that space, big no no.

tl;dr: I suck and need to work harder
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a fun practice to remember my Blender skillzz, Tutoring some kids in it soon. Wanted to also use this as a demo of how basic shapes can build scenes up fast.

(Immediately notice so many things wrong after posting rofl)

• Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick fun art In my free time! Back to sculpting, and that anime project..

• Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have been REALLY busy. Can't wait for this semester to end so I can begin my ULTIMATE PLAN. Was working on an outfit for fun, and because I have NO clue how to sculpt clothing. Started to get the hang of it and ended up with this (for now)

• Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harddrive failure. RIP everything.
    Last image i had on imgur, Time for a clean slate.

• Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been awhile since I've really gone for something good. Going to start pushing myself again now that I'm more "free".
    Warming back up to sculpting before doing some anatomy studies 
    Wip

• Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still suck at eyes, but im getting warmed back up to sculpture. Time to start the grind~

• Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still awful at wrinkes & eyes, but a bit better at the larger scale wrinkles and forms. Just did a basic noise for the skin, didn't want to worry too much about that when the wrinkles aren't that great. Going to be doing some anatomy stuff next I think. 

• Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took it just a tiny bit further.

• Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Totally overwhelmed by this. WAY out of my comfort zone, not even sure how to proceed with details. Alphas can only do so much, and not sure how to proceed... ugh

• Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2016 is killing me :\ Sculpt done based on 
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Oa0Ek