Home Contests & Challenges Archives Company of Heroes 2: WAR PAINT contest

[WIP] - Historical - Soviet Union

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Port-Seven polycounter lvl 7
UPDATE: I stumbled on this while look for some inspiration:

This pattern belonged to the 18th Division of the Red Army's 7th Mechanized Corps specifically, but given all the general camouflage patterns I thought this striped one was interesting so this is what I'm going to take a shot at creating.

Currently thinking about either the Living Machines or Fine Things skin themes for the Soviet Union vehicles, but I'll need to download the game and check out the mod tool first.

Replies

• Port-Seven
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried to come up with some cool ideas for the Fine Things theme but it proved challenging initially, so I took a shot at doing a Living Machines concept and came up with this:

The tanks with be reskinned (pun intended) to be fleshy and gross with stitches, scabs, wounds, boils, etc. And I just did a LOTR marathon over the holidays so I've seen plenty of rotting orc flesh for visual inspiration. :) I'm not sure if I will incorporate bone into the vehicle structure or keep to the idea that skin has been laid over top of the metal, or even whether the tanks are just 100% flesh.
  • brandoom
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    I'm not gonna lie.. that's pretty gross. ;)
  • Port-Seven
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a little WIP for the new skin, just a screenshot from Max right now.

I think I'll make the stripes thicker and push some contrast overall but I think this is doable with some work and I'm happy to have found the pattern that it's based off of.
  • Starbuck
    Offline / Send Message
    Starbuck polycounter lvl 2
    Ah yes.  I tried this scheme too at one point.  I got too frustrated trying to get those to line up correctly throughout the vehicle and gave up.  You look like you've got a great start!  Good luck!
  • Port-Seven
    Offline / Send Message
    If you've got any input over the next week or so I'd be happy to hear it, Starbuck, considering how many skins you've done for the game. 

Here's a screenshot from the game, still have to do some clean up but I think this is a good first tank so far. Finding out good brushes to use, techniques, etc. I'll have to make sure the stripes continue in some places on this mesh too. I also added some additional dirt/grime.

I may need to make the brown stripe a bit thicker in some areas so that it's readable from a distance...or maybe it looks okay as is?
  • georider
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    I may need to make the brown stripe a bit thicker in some areas so that it's readable from a distance...or maybe it looks okay as is?
    the stripes are good , the colors are good, weathering from this ancle in the pictures are very good, (decals killing me hahahaha) , it's fine . It doesn't make any diference if the stripes are thinker or wider, in soviet union all the Armor came from factory in default green camo , and these patterns applied by the vehicles crew so there are not factory default , so go for it and make the stripes to fit in the model.Well done, keep on!
  • reallymadmaveric
    Really good job. Stripes are so hard to get right
  • Port-Seven
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the positive comments, guys. Here's an wip preview of the t-70 in Marmoset2. Haven't done much weathering yet other than a quick general pass but I would like to go back over the stripes and try to give them more of a hand painted feel, as georider mentioned this pattern would have been applied by the crew themselves.

• Starbuck
    Offline / Send Message
    Starbuck polycounter lvl 2
    Very nice!  Btw, what are your graphics settings set to?  Your in game shot isn't doing these skins justice! 
  • georider
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    yes alter the game settings higher , just for the preview , it will give the correct aproach ingame and make them look as they must with all details.
  • Port-Seven
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't even know this was an option! I'll definitely look into bumping them up as soon as possible.