Home Technical Talk

Cinematic Character Creation Guidance

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Good Afternoon everyone, and a Happy New Year to ya, wherever you are in the world.

I'm sorry, first off if I'm accidentally putting this in the wrong topic,  but this seemed the most appropriate place.

My question, is actually just wondering on the technical side of things when it comes to Cinematic Character Creation, by that I mean the higher res characters (at least I think they're higher res), the characters used for teasers and trailers for AAA games and films, examples off the top of my head would be The Witcher 3: Killing Monsters trailer / Launch Trailer, Halo..5 I think it was,  In that area, what seems to be highly detailed, realistic characters, foliage and dynamics. (Let's set aside environments and dynamics for another time)

I must admit this is a bit of a desperate measure, I've been looking for tutorials or any workflows around but I'm afraid either I've missed them completely or I can't find any, or i'm just looking for the wrong thing.

I'm more curious about the technical aspects, would the cinematic models still be constrained by polycount, or would they be more free to add as much detail as possible, and drive the model with a lower res mesh via Skin Wrap (3DS Max) Or something like that?

I'm curious because to someone inexperienced and on the outside it doesn't seem that the workflow of creation of game characters would be the same for creating a cinematic model.

Perhaps I'm just over-complicating the simple, but I'm just very curious when it comes to the rigging, animation, texturing and compositing aspects, if there is no real polycount I can't imagine it being easy to animate, and potential workarounds, my attempts at creating higher detailed characters have ended in failure, so there's obviously something I'm not understanding.

Uh..yeah I'm sorry if I went on.

The short version: Would anyone be kind enough to guide me in the right direction for ways of rigging / texturing / animating cinematic / film characters

Replies