Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Noob Challenge January 2016 (36)

Replies

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    @Ubuska, @Carabiner, @Count_Crushmore - thanks for your kind words - I am trying to improve texture work in particular on this project (and I am being v influenced by Wildstar, so thanks, Carabiner!)
    Ubuska - lovely, lovely scene!  Lighting is amazing!  Are you going to do a small flythrough or such for us? 

A chunk more done today - the oven was tricksy. Still being really slow but I might actually hit the deadline after all.  Tomorrow, working on the pots and starting on mini details, always fun! 

• Ubuska
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ubuska polycounter lvl 8
    @AllyAlbon
    Actually I never thought about it, good idea. Maybe I do such flythrough. Thanks for kind words!
  • artrynk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artrynk polycounter lvl 18
    Ughh, creating texture -helper geometry, separating costructor elements, prepare atlasing

• vonBerg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vonBerg polycounter lvl 5
    Lighting update. Made a procedural skybox.

AllyAlbon Nice! Very 'witchy' texture style :wink: 
  • RedCouch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedCouch polycounter lvl 3
    Hi Everyone!
    I'm calling this finished, even though there's so much more to do. 

I gave up trying to figure out how to get transparency in Blender to work, which is why my wings have black spots, but overall, I'm pretty happy.
    I also made a high contrast version of the texture, which doesn't match the concept, but I ended up liking a lot more. You can see that at 
    https://sketchfab.com/models/28cdc5f6e9c840d88f465d8d18214462

This was my first full project ever, and I learned so much on each step: model, sculpt, unwrap, bake, texture...  I had to back up and redo parts of each step, but the frustrations never outweighed the thrill of the successes. 

Really looking forward to starting something new...
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    @Vonburg - how did you get everything looking so vibrant?  Really pretty stuff! 

Had an insanely busy week, so will read through the thread properly tomorrow - I haven't done a lot more, so this weekend has been reserved to actually finish up.  I did, however, make some pears.

• Kn5743
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kn5743 polycounter lvl 8
    @AllyAlbon I really like your textures.  The stove looks great.

Started texturing mine.

• artrynk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artrynk polycounter lvl 18
    Replace all draft objects with final low-poly
    Baking 1/2 atlas textures for nature objects (Diffuse and normal map) 
    https://youtu.be/uYdbqeywxdY
  • Count_Crushmore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Count_Crushmore polycounter lvl 2
    Wow - awesome work all of you!

@AllyAlbon: Your scene looks stunning, great work on the Textures!
    @RedCouch: I like your Take on the Vehicle, very nice!
    @Vonberg: It looks like it jumped right out of the frames of an Anime, unbelievable! Impressive Work!
    @K5743: I realy like your Texture Work, especially the wood and the cracks on the Walls, a very nice touch! Your lighting looks great too - well done!
    @Artrynk: Great scene, it has a nice soft feeling to it, Great work!

Well, now it seems that it is up to me to put the "Noob" back into the Noob Challenge ;D. I worked realy hard in the few hours that I had to spare and  I got nowhere as far as all of you, not to mention nowhere as good. But well, I learned a lot and I had a lot of fun.

A word of warning before I show my pictures - I am still a very raw Noob (I have to change that this year - I am determined to improve my 3Ds Max Skills). As I said before, I tackled the concept from a cartoony Angle, everything a bit skewed, wonky, wacky while trying to stay true to the Layout and the Proportions. So I used the FFD Modifier quiet often while I was working on the scene.

The Textures again where my greatest Challenge, the TextureTools that Dethling suggested to me in the October Challenge were a great help, but still I am struggeling a lot with the mapping, so I will need to focus on that Topic when I go back to my Tutorials. The worst part of the process were the actual Textures, I used Photoshop more or less like paint, I neglected it for too long, but not any more - there is learning to be done.

I brought my scene into Unity just a few hours ago, but didn´t get it to look like I wanted it to be (some of the outlines aren´t adjusted correctly) - I used the Toon Shader, since my Textures look very dull and plain - well, they are more or less just flat colors.

A lot of work, but I learned a Lot and had a lot of fun and I had it finished (well, more or less) just in Time.

And seeing what you are able to do is a great Inspiration and a goal to work towards!

• vonBerg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woops double post
  • vonBerg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @AllyAlbon hi, thx. It's the art of post processing and lighting I think. I can share some settings and info for Unreal.
    I would love to push it more. Unfortunaly I was a bit busy with work.  But it was a super awesome learning experience! It is really cool to see the work of others. I am ready  for the next one ^^.  It was fun and refreshing to do a very different style/subject than I normally work on.

@Count_Crushmore I suggest to avoid flat/2d look / toon shader, Start with the basics, you can make a scene look amazing by using good lighting. I would suggest remove all the textures and keep it simple. Then for a next challenge try to focus on learning to textures

FINAL for this challenge:

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    I finished the scene!  A couple of weeks after the date, as I was trying to resolve a lighting issue.  All finished, and my first full scene in Unreal.  This was so much fun, it was a great tutor, mostly in reusing textures etc.  Still got a lot to learn about lighting, and in the end I just chose a light scheme I liked rather than the concept. I  also didn't end up making any blend textures, will tackle that in the next project.  More pics on my website.

• artrynk