Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mech Models

I have recently picked up 3D modeling again and I am a fair bit rusty so started improving one of my early works to get used to the basics again such as hotkeys and basic work pipelines then add more to it.
The basic of it I was trying to make a Mech with interchangeable parts such as Armored core style of mixing parts together to make new Mech's I only had one main body section to try to keep the parts simple so I would not have any clipping to deal with.
So any feedback / advice on whats wrong what needs to be altered I don't mind starting from scratch while I am trying to get used to 3D Modeling, again then try adding more parts to it.

Mech number 1

This one was based on Gat-x105 from Gundam, it seemed a good Mech style to start with.

Mech number 2

This one was an attempt to make a simple design for a work drone style of parts.
Mech number 3

This one was based on some older armored core artwork which I picked to get a design with non standard legs then I started to make a MLRS style missile launcher for arms.
Mech number 4

This one was based on a RPI-13 Sutherland from Code Geass this one came out looking the most complex looking.
Textured Versions

Here are the same again but with some textures I rendered them in Unreal Engine 4 using PBR rendering I had to make some alterations to the screen shots to lower the lens flare some corners were producing, if anyone could also give advice on setting up a proper render solution to combat this I would appreciate it.
I used the Gat-X105's colours as a base and made some adjustments to the placements then added some wear around areas that would get it such as feet and elbows.

Mech number 1

Mech number 2

Mech number 3

Mech number 4

Any feedback at all about anything or recommended guides I should look into would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I think you achieved your objectives with the interchangeable parts.

Your texturing work makes it all feel toy like, and I'm not sure if that's your intention.   I think given the combination of the "too much bloom" in some of the renders as well as the overblown lighting is taking away from showing your mechs in an optimal way.  The bloom and other effects should be underneath the topic of "post effects" for UE.

Design-wise, I feel like these leave much to be desired.  But IF this is all meant to be toy-like, it works I think.  From what you've been writing, though, it seems you want to get across that these are HUGE mechs.  Going forward, if you're making more mechs, I'd either spend more time in the concept design stage before committing to making a mech model, or use an existing piece of concept art to make a mech from.  The appeal to these as large combat mechs isn't coming through, but instead I'm seeing neat mech toys that a child might play with.