Home Quixel Megascans

Solved: Separate baked maps for all the item materials

Hi!
I'm finally up and running with Quixel Suite 2.0 (long story short had to upgrade from CS5 to CC2015 to make it work) that said everything is running all right, however when I load my OBJ and ask Suite to bake the maps (I work in Hi-Res and only input the AO) it makes a different set of maps for all the materials of my item. So I end up having say 6 groups with 6 sets of baked AND generated maps, so not only a ton of maps and wasted space, but I also need to consolidate the generated maps into 1 file per type by end.

Oh, obviously all materials UVs of my item are included in the same UV shell.

I'm pretty sure I'm just missing an option here... but I've looked for this kind of info and any option to change this, but didn't find anything.

Any pointer would be extremely appreciated!
Sil

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    If I'm understanding your post correctly, you should be minimizing the number of mesh groups to correlate with the number of unique UVs you have. For example, if you're working with a tank, the turret and chassis would likely be two different textures, as would the wheels and the treads. Everything that belongs on one texture should be part of the same mesh group, otherwise you will duplicate textures significantly. :smile: 

So in your case, I would combine the object before exporting it, and export it as a single mesh group. That should solve the issue you're having!
  • Aeon Soul
    Thanks for the reply, that was my solution as well, but I wasn't sure whether it was supposed to work this way since it's different from Suite 1.8.

In the previous version I would feed all the maps and Suite would work on one template, regardless on the number of material groups in my OBJ, but this is different now.
    Baking works on one material at a time. I just thought there may be an on/off option to consolidate maps, so to speak.

--> So basically everything that is contained in one UV shell should be named the same / should be in one material group?

Anyway, I can deal with this, but wanted to ascertain it's something that needs dealing with.

Thanks!
    Sil

• Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    There have been some significant changes since Suite 1.8, certainly. The way mesh groups are handled now is more logical as well, since you can have an entire project as a single *.OBJ imported with all of the relevant maps - allowing you to fine tune it all at once. Let me know if you need anything else! :smile: