Home Technical Talk

Getting a face scan with only one DSLR in hand? How much possible?

Jonathan85
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Jonathan85 polycounter lvl 9
Hello i know it is possible to get quite pretty human head scan (using camera, photogrammetry) with only one DSLR camera, when the subject is still, and the lighting is good and you move quickly (not using a tripod) you can shoot around 20-40 photos and the scans i have seen look quite really good.

The problem is: How many people can really stand that still? I mean i see people all around (on the internet) investing in multicam solutions even just for a headscan... But then i see people doing really nice head scans with only one camera... So hows that? Are those people who're getting fully rigged 30+ camera systems just lazy with their money, or is it simply necessary?
Is it that while you can from time to time find a person that it able to hold still for 20-40 shots to be taken, its a rarity and most people simply wont be able to hold their face expresion and face still without moving for that period of time, and thus the need for 30+rig solutions...?
(I would be working mainly with amateurs (models, actors, or ordinary people...). Whats your experience with this, how many people can hold that?