Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

New to Pixel Art, i have a bad issue :(

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hi everyone ! I'm 21 years old and I'm new to pixel art. I would like to make a little game but i have an issue. I want to make a rpg game where you can have different armor / weapons etc... i have a skeleton of a human buf if the player take an armor how could i make this go on the character without doing all the animations from scratch with every case of weapons and armor. Is there a tip to put the armor automatically on the already made animations ?

Thanks and hope i'm clear enough :)

Replies

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    absolutely, it can be done in many ways, depending on how advanced you want to do it. you could do it in a program like Spine, or set up attachment points inside the engine itself and attach stuff by code.  you have to be more clear on what you doing though.

what engine are you going to use?
    what program do you use?
    what do you mean when you say you "have a skeleton"?
  • seltic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your answer !

I'm using th Unity 2D Engine, the latest version and for the pixel art i'm using Photoshop.
    When i say that i'm using a skeleton i think that a miss used the word, it's just the "naked" character on wich i wan't to add the stuff he is gonna equip.  Do you have some tips ? :)
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    ok. when you say skeleton I though you had a 3D bone set up or something.

well if its unity what I would do is attach empty game objects, call them attachment points or something, have a sprite renderer on them, and then switch that image out with code. either you animate everything in unity with cut out parts, like this   --> http://mmm.albinal.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Character.jpg

or if you want that true pixel art feel you can aniamte everything by hand in say photoshop, and then do a separate set of animations for the attachment points so they follow along with the sprites.

in any case there are many ways you can do this, if you watch a few tutorials on how the 2D animation system works in unity I think you can figure it out.

Good luck!
  • seltic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, thanks for your answer, Spine seems to be a good solution from what i saw :) 
    Have a nice day and Merry Christmas ! :)