Home Technical Talk

Unity 5.3 - Standard shader looks washed out

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
Hey hey. Hopefully someone can help me with this. I'm having a lot of trouble trying to sort this out.

I'm using Unity 5.3 and my texture with the Standard shader (top version) looks super washed out. When I switch to Legacy Shaders/Diffuse (bottom version), it looks how it's supposed to. Are there certain settings I still need to change or am I stuck with this?

I've already tried following this thread (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-5-standard-shader-washed-out.276455/) to change the Reflection Source in the scene render settings. The top version is after doing that. It helped a little, but still washed out.

Thanks!

Replies

• JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    It looks that way because it's calculating a very rough, dull specularity over the entire surface. If you jack up the smoothness you'll see the specularity and reflections more clearly. If you want it to look more like the legacy Diffuse shader you'll need to switch to the Specular version of the standard shader and set the specular color to black, although the edges will still have some specularity due to Fresnel which there's currently no way to totally eliminate with the standard shader.

In UE4 if you set specularity and metallic to 0 it will eliminate the Fresnel altogether and you'll be left with a regular old Lambertian diffuse. You lose some light energy by doing this, decreasing realism and believability for a realistic style, but looking at your art that's not really what you're going for so don't let that bother you.
  • JKim3
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Wow! Awesome! Thanks so much!!! That does wonders.