Home Technical Talk

Seamless texture tiling of multiple layers?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
brum polycounter lvl 6
Hello!

I've been trying to create a seamless texture of a wall in photoshop with no luck.
Now i know what you're going to say, "just look up a tutorial!".

Well, that doesn't really work in my case (as far as i can tell), since I'm trying to work on 4 textures at once; normal, diffuse, occlusion, heightmap.

I got these maps NOT from a tiled, z-brush sculpted mesh aimed at being seamless from the start; i got them from scanning a real object. I figured it'd be a good way to get true depth.

I'm saying true depth because there are two other options that achieve what I'm trying to do;
1. You could photograph the texture and then go over it with crazybump; this will not produce high quality, realistic results because crazybump doesn't have the magical ability to recognize depth from a 2d image, it's just looking at lightness changes, which may as well be just result from the discoloration of your object.
2. You could just say "screw it" and just do what i previously mentioned and sculpt a wall with tiling enabled instead of scanning the real stuff. I'm not a fan of this option it'd be really time consuming to produce this much organic detail with sculpting. Even if you can do it you're going to spend a hell of a lot more time doing it as opposed to scanning a wall that's readily available.

Now on to the problem: making this texture seamless is proving impossible since Photoshop doesn't seem to play nice with grouped textures. If you want the same exact effect applied to a group of layers you need to convert the whole deal into a smart object, but doing so stops you from un-packing your smart object after applying the effect. You can sort of do it though, by going into your smart object.
You do this by double clicking your smart object layer, which then opens up a new, temporary file with all of your layers exposed. The effects from your main file aren't applied to these layers, so you're pretty much where you started at this point.
You can turn a layer off though, and this will also turn off the layer in your main project, meaning that you can turn all of your layers off one-by-one, and then you can save them individually in order to have the effect applied in the same way to all of the layers.

This is all very tedious but here is the problem; even if you do all this you still can't use clone stamp on your group of smart objects, because apparently you just can't clone stamp any type of smart object. You may be able to puppet warp it, or use other filters, but you can't do the same with clone stamp.
Using the clone stamp is absolutely necessary, since it's your bread and butter when it comes to making textures seamless, and you would have to do the exact same clone stamp operation to all of your layers at the same time.

Am i being crazy here but is there just no solution to this? (at least in photoshop)

I've made a similar thread before, but no one even bothered to respond. This problem is a bit less general, and I'm really hoping the community has a solution.

Here are the textures I'm using in case you want to give it a try:
diffuse, occlusion, normalmap
heightmap

Thanks for reading!

Replies