Home Technical Talk

Anyone familiar with md5 model format here?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Dementei polycounter lvl 7
Hello, just looking for help for a certain issue I am having. I am very fresh when it comes to modelling, but I am slowly learning the curve. Anyhow, so there's this awesome open source engine called Tesseract, which is a fork of Sauerbraten aka the Cube 2 engine. The player models they use are in md5 format (which is .md5mesh and .md5anim) I believe you can use IQM as well. Here is their model wiki, and here is a tutorial for exporting md5 mesh and anims. I followed the tutorial the best I could, I was able to get a Half-life player model in-game as a replacement for the player model of Tesseract, which is great.

My trouble now is getting the animations with it but the problem may lie in the rig itself. There is an animation.cfg in this dir "C:\Program Files (x86)\Tesseract\media\model\player\bones" but there is no documentation that comes with it and that's where I am stuck, I even tried renaming the joints to how some of them are named in the config. So I really have no clue how to move from here and I really want to use this engine for a mod.

If someone else here who has experience with this format wants to help, please do, I can provide you with as much as I can to facilitate progress. Thanks :wink: 

(Also I recommend downloading Tesseract and try for yourself, see what you can make of it, might be the best way to help me with this.)

Edit: Here is the animation.cfg if anyone was curious.

Replies

• kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    That looks to be the equivalent of a '*.def' file, a 'definition' reference file that collates together in one place all the data needed for a working character. It doesn't have anything to do with MD5 output per se (in the sense that its not a product of the export process). If you're having trouble with it just comment out those parts to see if the character still works. If not make sure your rig *at least* has the same minimal listed structure, i.e. your rig  will need the three spine bones etc. listed.

P.S. for a quicker response on MD5 stuff it's best to post here [clicky]
  • Dementei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dementei polycounter lvl 7
    Oh hey Kat, I actually had just registered on your forum haha. That is interesting I didn't know about this .def file, would need more info on that as I've never heard of it. I had tried renaming my bones to the ones listed in the animation.cfg but I had received an export error, the rig is straight from a HL player model so there's definitely going to be issues. Anyhow I'll post on there soon, thanks.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Just for completeness of this topic (don't you just hate when they aren't!). Having looked through the docs (and had a chat w OP) the Cube 2 engine (and derivatives) uses a modified version of the MD5 format to output slightly proprietary content so the generic MD5 scripts available from KatsBits won't work (not fully anyway). In addition Blender 2.49 is recommended for Cube 2.