Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dragon Fang Sword

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MMKH polycounter lvl 11
Hello, I've been quite a Deus Ex fan over the years and finally decided I should create something inspired from the game. IMO the original Dragon Tooth Sword was a pretty cool weapon, it's basically a Chinese lightsaber that fit the game atmosphere and was one of the first of its kind.

http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon's_Tooth_sword_%28DX%29

I figured this would be a good personal practice project and wanted to redesign the original sword into my own modification. What would Deus Ex look like if remade to have refined low-poly graphics? I am sticking to low-poly with hand-painted textures for this as will be the case for most of my 3D projects in the near future. There are probably much better ways to recreate this weapon model especially with sculpting but this is what I am capable of right now. I haven't noticed a lot of fan art like this for the game so I wanted to give this a shot.

I started by creating some pencil sketches as I find it to be the quickest way for me to put ideas down on paper. In the end I decided on a semi-futuristic design with a traditional look.

The model is a bit different from the selected concept as is sometimes the case when I try to find an easy way to model and minimize polygons. The body of the sword is metallic and similar to a Star Wars lightsaber in how there could be some interior mechanism or crystal powering the blade, that runs from the top where the "teeth" are, down through the handle.

This is on a 1024x1024 diffuse texture, hand-painted with no tablet (mouse and keyboard only). The model is 700 triangles (plus 24 for the alpha particle geometry) and rendered in Marmoset Toolbag with the transparency set to dither.

Tell me what you guys think! I am open to suggestions and feedback. I hope I will be worthy enough to create fan art for such an amazing game. :)