Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stlylized Character

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
kmacneil91 polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys! Looking for some feedback on this guy before I get to painting:

Original concept (#2) - changed the sculpt a tad to try some more muscle definition:

Thank you!

Replies

• Nuclear Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
     Are you planning on making a lowpoly? What is the end goal with the character?  Either way it looks like you have gone to fast up in subdivisions. Which make it look blobby. Stay in a lower subdivision longer and get the major shapes right before moving on to details. You are close, so put some more work in to the base and you will have something great going on!
  • Nuclear Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    doublePost. Delete
  • kmacneil91
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks so much for the tips! I was planning to use a low poly version with normal maps and animate this guy for a short. I typically use Dynamesh and then Zremesh + project. What would be a better workflow to avoid the blobby-ness?

• pigart
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    All you have to do to avoid blobbyness is to just go up subdivisions very very slowly.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    its a good start, the concepts are fun! I feel like you could carry over more of that angular sharpness into your sculpt, stay at a fairly low subdivision level and use the flatter or trim brushes to create those flat sharp angles in the concept.
  • Nuclear Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    What Pigart Said. Do not go up too early. 

This is not the best example, but should get the point across. The left tool is too high of a subdivision to build forms in. But the right one is way better to work with if you just want to get the forms down. It might even be too highpoly. So to wrap it up. Do not subdivide unless you need to. And as in the image below. Unless you are going for details. Keep it so you can see your quads as in the right example. Cause then you can not get any details down, which lets you focus on form over details. And when you do subdivide, you will  not get a blobby result. 

I hope this helps. And do take this with a grain of salt, every unique mesh requires different subdivisions. so practice and get a feel for when you should subdivide. Good luck. 

• kmacneil91
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, everyone! I'll keep these things in mind.