Home General Discussion

Environment Art test questions

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Ssjtroll polycounter lvl 8
Hey all,
I had some questions on what you all think are some good ways to tackle an art test. Like is it better to have a fully lit and textured space, compared to having some un-complete but more assets?  Also do the people looking at it keep in mind if you currently have a job, that you may only be able to put 30-40 hours into something compared to 80 or more?

Replies

• RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
    It's best to provide what they ask for and how they ask for it. and make it look as good as you can. I would not put anything incomplete  in an art test. you are not going to be there to point out whats not complete and it will appear that you think the incomplete assets are complete. to answer your last question just spend as much time on it as you physically can and make it look as good as it can be.
  • Bedrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 10
    Don't leave any of the pieces unfinished. If they give you a fully colored concept art then everything needs to be lit, textured and presented nicely. A lot of this depends on what they make/want from you though. Art tests vary a lot from PBR props to mobile games.

If you are limited on hours then tell them and ask how they want it handled. I know some companies give two weeks, some are just happy to see what you come up with after 30-40h.
  • Ssjtroll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ssjtroll polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks.
    That is how I have been doing things. Just need to practice and get faster then  :)
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Usually you get some sort of brief that tells you what they expect from you.  I've done tests where the whole environment is supposed to be finished, and others where I was specifically told to leave some things in a greybox state and finish others.  Just be mindful for what they are looking for, and if its unclear, ask.

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I know how hard it can be to fit in time to do an art test (can take like 50 hours). In my experience if the concept is particularly detailed don't make every little thing in the scene and end up with mediocre quality assets. Rather make most of the concept to a very high quality. Dont sacrifice that quality for quantity. Always finish things to the best of your ability and show off the fact that you know how to get a job done properly