Home Quixel Megascans

Solved: Non destructive control over Glossiness value of a Smart material. How?

Defonten
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Defonten polycounter lvl 7
Guys, is there a quick way to reduce the glossiness of the particular Smart Material in a non-destructive way i.e. by slider or entering the value somewhere? Of course I can alter the gloss map but it would be a destructive way of doing this and quite difficult to alter after it is saved. For example what if I decided to make a material non-shiny and dry, and after a few days, after getting feedback from client - make it super shiny just by entering gloss intensity values. is it possible or do I have to manually paint the values into gloss map each time? Thanks!

Replies

• Defonten
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Defonten polycounter lvl 7
    Ok, found it. it's reflectance color swatch)
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    You got to it before I even woke up. :smiley:
  • Democaliber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Democaliber polycounter lvl 4
    The best way I've found to  interactively control the glossiness is to (in Photoshop) apply a saturation adjustment layer over top of the layer with the reflectance. I find that this gives me independent control on the color value of my material and the glossiness without having to try to balance the two at the same time (granted you can always use the saturation slider in the reflectance color); all a matter of preference I suppose. I like having the ability to edit it on the fly without having to go into the reflectance color though. Seeing a slider to control that independently of the color would be a cool addition...*thoughtful thinking*