Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

~yuuva's finished characters~

vertex
Offline / Send Message
yuuva vertex
My other thread is intended to post WIPs and sketches/speedsculpts; this thread, however,  is for my completely finished pieces! The best of these will be going into my demo reel in the future (target goal is February to have my demo reel up and ready) Even though these are finished, I still would greatly appreciate any and all feedback and comments on my designs and techniques. I am still far newer to the 3D realm than the 2D one, so I have a lot to learn. That also means that I will be drawing my own concept art for my sculpts, and no fanart or using anyone else's ideas!

RIVER HEALER (rendered in Marmoset Toolbag 2)

RIVER HEALER (concept art)

This girl started out as a concept for a healer class for an MMO game. I wanted sci fi elements present on her and very little armor without making her really skimpy. I kind of regret building her in A pose because the topology would need to be redone under the armpits if I ever wanted to rig her...will have to remember this in the future.

I am very proud of this model because it is the very first character I have brought all the way from concept to finished piece fully textured. I have always just stopped at a bust or untextured in the past. It feels really good to finish something you love. I can't wait to do this process again!

Replies

• kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Good job on finishing your first character.

I think you should tweak the overall luminance of the final render. Looks kind of grey/dull to me. You're missing lot's in the upper 40% of the luminance spectrum. I'd also consider re-lighting it. It has kind of uniform and flat lighting. I'm not convinced those dark shadowed areas(ao?) work well with your choice of art style. Maybe add some color variation in the skin tones? Red round the cheeks, nose, lips, eyes, etc.
  • yuuva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yuuva vertex
    Thanks for the feedback Kodde. It was my first time using Marmoset so I definitely have some things to learn in regards to lighting and final scene setup. I also will look into more dynamic skintone ranges from now on.
    If anyone would like to check out this model with sketchfab:

River Healer by yuuva on Sketchfab

(Does anyone know how to embed a sketchfab viewer into a post? I pasted the iframe code from the website but it just appears as a link)
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    I can't get the sketchfab integration to work either.
    There's this little Sketchfab icon in the text toolbar at the top. Tried pasting both the full url and the short-link url but to no avail.
  • yuuva
  • jacob thomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob thomas polycounter lvl 9
    Nice alien head, really well executed. Good topology for the most part, although I think you went a little overboard with the poly density on the hair.
    If you added some subtle hue variation in the skin along with some cellular/bumpy goodness it would really bring some life to her.