Home Technical Talk

Best plugins for Maya?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MMKH polycounter lvl 11
Hello, which plugins are essential to have for Maya users? I am interested in anything that can improve the workflow for modeling, rigging/animating, and UV mapping, but mostly rigging/animating. I have tried the bonus tools previously but still prefer to manually UV unwrap and smooth, for example. Also, any new features from a 3rd-party app that can manipulate geometry or vertices in a way that Maya normally can't would be cool to try.

Has it gotten much easier these days to skin, rig and animate a basic low-poly character, whether it be bipedal/humanoid, a 4-legged creature, robot, vehicle, etc? When I learned about Maya way back generally it was because of the potential issues with rigging and animating that I based the way I model around that, meaning that whenever I create a model to be rigged and animated, I make sure that it should work easily and not deform improperly. It's just something that's always on my mind when I model, because I would find it annoying to have to redo the geometry (and texture) if there's a problem. If there is an easy and better way I would like to know about it. Thanks. :)

Replies